Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Problems with @font-face fonts on iPhone

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    lee

The site I’m working on is using two embedded @font-face fonts, both using kits from Font Squirrel. Both fonts display perfectly on all my browsers and iOS simulator, but when I load the site on my physical iPhone, only one font displays properly, with the other falling back to another sans-serif font.

I’ve tried replacing the SVG font and even uploaded the TTF to Font Squirrel to generate a new SVG file, and still no luck. Both fonts are embedded in exactly the same way and come from the same place.

Any ideas? I can’t think of anything else to try.

lee

I also tried embedding the font with Google Web Fonts instead, and still ran into the same problem.

chrisburton
    Participant

Link? Name of font?

lee

Don’t have a link to my site as it’s all local at the moment.

The font I’m trying to use is Open Sans—specifically the light and light italic variants.

I’m also using the font CAC Champagne from Font Squirrel with no problems at all.

chrisburton
    Participant

The type designer of Open Sans studied at a University where I grew up (unimportant fact).

Anyway. By any chance have you renamed anything in the CSS or font file itself?

lee

Have not renamed anything as far as I’m aware. Here is the @font-face code I’m using:

@font-face {
    font-family: ‘OpenSansLight’;
    src: url(‘../fonts/opensans/OpenSans-Light-webfont.eot’);
    src: url(‘../fonts/opensans/OpenSans-Light-webfont.eot?#iefix’) format(’embedded-opentype’),
    url(‘../fonts/opensans/OpenSans-Light-webfont.woff’) format(‘woff’),
    url(‘../fonts/opensans/OpenSans-Light-webfont.ttf’) format(‘truetype’),
    url(‘../fonts/opensans/OpenSans-Light-webfont.svg#OpenSansLight’) format(‘svg’);
    font-weight: normal;
    font-style: normal;
    }

Paulie_D

It’s possible the font has been corrupted when downloaded..might be worth downloading again.

lee

I tried downloading three times and I’ve tried generating my own @font-face kit from the .ttf file.

Paulie_D

This could be nothing but could it be that

url(‘../fonts/opensans/OpenSans-Light-webfont.svg#OpenSansLight’) format(‘svg’);

should be

url(‘../fonts/opensans/OpenSans-Light-webfont.svg#OpenSans-Light’) format(‘svg’);

and that it’s the hyphen in the font name tripping you up?

lee

Just tried that…no luck.

I’m don’t recall where I pulled this font-face syntax from but I don’t completely understand all of it. Not sure what function the #OpenSansLight after the .svg serves, but during an earlier test I had a different font name there for the CAC Champagne font I’m using and it still worked on iOS devices. I’ve since changed it but it didn’t seem to create any issues.

Paulie_D
    chrisburton
    Participant

Renders without a problem when I tested this on my iPhone 4S.
    http://christopherburton.net/open-sans/demo.html

lee

@Paulie_D: Thanks for the article. Ironically, the font that does work doesn’t match its fragment identifier, and the font that doesn’t work does match its fragment identifier. So somehow that’s not what’s affecting me.

@ChristopherBurton: Your page works for me too.

Digging a little deeper I’ve realized that iOS 5 doesn’t use the .svg file anymore, that’s just for older versions of iOS—it’s actually using the .ttf file. So I’m wondering if that’s where my problem is. I don’t think it’s a font file or css issue—as the font loads properly everywhere else.

I found this article at Font Squirrel: Troubleshooting Font-Face Problems

The only thing I can think of is that somehow the .ttf file is getting blocked through apache or MAMP when I try to view it locally on an iOS device. I tried inserting the first bit of code the article recommends into my httpd.conf file, and no luck there. I would try the second piece of code, but I’m lost as to what my “calling domain” is.

This is the only other thing I can think of, but I need some help with understanding what that article means (what’s an IIS server?). Thanks again for your help with this guys.

trouille2
    Participant

Did you find a solution to your problem? I got it now and can’t get rid of it.

chrisburton
    Participant

@lee It’s a Windows server different than the common Apache server. With an IIS server, you typically need to add a mime type in your htaccess file for @font-face to work.

@trouille2
    Can’t get rid of what?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.