Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other [Solved] Problem with HTML 5 Download tag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    han003
    Participant

Hi!

I have a download link like so <a href="Home/Newspaper.ass" download="Newspaper">Download</a>

But when I click on it and download it it just saves as File, not as .ass as it’s supposed to..

Any ideas?

Paulie_D

But when I click on it and download it it just saves as File, not as .ass as it’s supposed to..

Save as what kind of file?

What extension does the downloaded file have in Explorer?

han003
    Participant

This http://s28.postimg.org/u27kgtw59/Capture.png

Edit: When I tested on live site with chrome it got converted to a .txt file, but still not as a .ass file as it’s supposed to be

Paulie_D

Hmm…perhaps the receiving computer doesn’t have .ass as an acceptable / recognised file type?

Chrome wouldn’t (I think) convert it automatically.

What about other browsers…what do they do?

Oh…what was in the .txt file? Did you open it?

Quick google found this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2793751/how-can-i-create-download-link-in-html

han003
    Participant

I’ve downloaded .ass files from other sources before no problem, so it’s acceptable

Firefox and Opera does the same as Chrome

__
    Participant

<a href="Home/Newspaper.ass" download="Newspaper">Download</a>

Your markup specifies “Newspaper” as the download, not “Newspaper.ass”. You are specifying a filename with no extension. That is “what it is supposed to do” (in fact, chrome technically shouldn’t be adding a txt extension).

File downloads are just that, downloads. There is no implicit conversion. The file extension -on any file- has absolutely no impact on its type/format.

han003
    Participant

Wow, seriously!
    Since it worked nice for, I guess, ‘common’ files I didn’t think such a minor detail would cause me this much headache!

Problem solved, thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.