Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Problem with Equal Height Blocks in Rows

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Fatbat
    Participant

Hello. I love this Equal Height Blocks in Rows article so much so that I incorporated it into my template here http://www.deepbass.com/mt-test/

It was mostly working quite well with a couple issues that follow but for some reason the second row of blocks is now adopting the height of the first row (as you can see I added a load of filler copy to test this). Any ideas as to why this might be happening?

The other issues are; sometimes when the page loads the longest copy is spilling outside the bottom of the container slightly. In IE6 it takes interaction with something on the page like the expanding div example at the bottom to trigger the boxes to redraw to the right height.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Fatbat
    Participant

Anyone? This is driving me nuts.

Fatbat
    Participant

Hey, thanks for that Mottie! That does look a lot more efficient. The only thing is that I thought Chris’ script made it so that you didn’t have to assign a unique class for each row you wanted to equalize which is part of the attraction. Also, I’m not sure if you noticed or not, there’s another set of boxes further down the page that are equalizing correctly to the height of their content independent from the first two rows as well as those in the footer.

Fatbat
    Participant

OK, another strange turn of events. In my experimentation I simply added an “.equal” class to the next row, the “.grid_12” rounded box that follows immediately after the first four equal “.grid_3″s, and everything works fine. In another experiment I added an additional row of “.grid_3″s with different height content right after the first 4 and everything worked fine. Why then, in its current state, are the first 4 “.grid_3″s affecting the row of 2 “.grid_4″s?

It doesn’t make any sense.

Fatbat
    Participant

OK, not sure what the problem is with this… but we still have the other issue with the content in the equal height blocks overflowing the containers because I don’t think the padding on the containers is being taken into account when the height calculation is being done.

In one of the comments in the original article Tom says…

“Use “outerHeight” instead to get the correct dimensions for elements with padding/margin.

http://api.jquery.com/outerHeight/”

but I have no idea what would need to change in the original script for this to work.

Fatbat
    Participant

Sorry, hadn’t checked back for answers for a few days. Thanks for this Mottie! I’ll give it a try and report back asap.

Fatbat
    Participant

OK, so that seems to have fixed the problem with the random row of columns further down the page taking on the height of the first row of columns, which is great.

All that’s left now is the random overflowing of the content in the .even boxes. Sometimes it’s fine, sometimes it’s not and hitting reload produces different results.

Fatbat
    Participant

I need to check back more often. Thanks for your help Mottie.

Adding the outer height doesn’t solve the problem though, it still sometimes works properly and sometimes doesn’t. Loading the page might work fine the first time, reloading the page might produce an overflow 5 times in a row, and the 6th reload it goes back to working properly… or vice versa. I’m not sure why this is? I also can’t think of an easy way to take the margin and padding off the “.equal” class.

Fatbat
    Participant

Hi Mottie. Yeah, I did change the heights in both places. outerHeight and innerHeight produce similar results in that the box still has variable results when you load the page and hit reload over and over again. innerHeight produces a taller box when it’s working correctly, but when it overflows the result is the same visually. With outerHeight the script calculates the correct height of the first tall equal box at 1701px and when it calculates the wrong height it’s 1596px. With innerHeight the script calculates the correct height at 1741px and the wrong height at 1636px.

When an incorrect result happens, only the first two rows of “.equal” blocks overflow, the last row is shorter than it’s supposed to be but doesn’t overflow (it’s just missing it’s bottom padding). This is sort of like the first problem that affected only the first two rows leaving the third row functioning correctly.

Any thoughts? I’ve uploaded the current iteration using outerHeight which when producing the right result is the most visually correct representation of the padding.

Fatbat
    Participant

Something else that I have noticed… it seems the calculations work on the first load of the page and reloads cause the overflow. Forcing a refresh produces the correct result and then a reload breaks it again.

Fatbat
    Participant

Oh, and for the record, I did try removing all padding and margin from the “.equal” items and the variable result still happens.

Fatbat
    Participant

Woohoo… that appears to have fixed it! Might be slower to draw the equal height columns maybe? A bit of “fouc” before the columns draw to the right heights. Nevertheless the problem seems solved for now. You were saying something about a plugin? Have you got a blog or website?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Fatbat
    Participant

Oh hai, I seriously need to check back here more often. I’ll scope your blog, git and the plugin. Thanks!

Fatbat
    Participant

Hey Mottie. You still around? Have you done anything with this script to make it responsive? I’ve tried messing about with (window)resize a bit with it but haven’t had a lot of success. Drop me a line if you’re around.

Fatbat
    Participant

Nothing about my last post had anything to do with IE6 or 7, but I’m going to guess you didn’t get past the first post from a year and a half ago before telling me what you think about legacy browser support. I actually want to know how we can make this script responsive. Unfortunately it looks like Mottie has removed it from his repository altogether. But hey, thanks anyways!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.