Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Pricing help…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    seanroberts

Ok guys I am in a bit of a quandary. I have a friend who owns a pretty good sized business and is looking at fixing their E-Commerce site with a new design. I am trying to figure out how much I should charge him. The work I would be doing is really just redesigning an entire site. (maybe changing a few controls here and there.) I Don’t want to break the bank and I don’t want to get underpaid for my services. And here is the kicker…. I have 20 days (more like 18 now) to get it done. They need it done fast and they said they talked to a designer that works for the company who own the shopping cart system, and he will do it for $1,200 and he could do it in 15 hours…. and entire site redesign? I told my friend, you get what you pay for…

So I talked him into letting me copy the site, do the redesign and pretty much sell it to them in 20 days, no money up front (I know thats dumb but I know he will love it and buy it). He needs it in 30 days so I gave myself 20 so they can talk to the other designer if they don’t like it… just so they have time to get things handled if they dont buy it.

What do you think I should charge… and let me know if you need more information on what I am doing. The design is a regular ecommerce size (i.e. home page, category pages, checkout, account, product pages, etc..)

seanroberts

And trust me, I understand the gravity of a redesign of ecommerce websites and their UX as I have had a few big clients. I just don’t want to kill my friend on pricing… What you guys tell me will also be something I can show them so they understand why my pricing is what it is… as I am sure you people have dealt with clients who don’t quite understand why a price is what it is.

stevendeeds

Hey Sean! We must always remember, “My Time Is Valuable!”. Never short change yourself. Your clients will respect you more if you take yourself and your job seriously! With that being said, there is a really good rate calculator on freelance switch! Check it out here: http://freelanceswitch.com/rates/

Or, I’ve used this before as well: http://www.designquote.net/html/dq_estimate_wizard.cfm

Hope this helps Sean!

-All Good Things-

seanroberts

Thank you for getting back to me steven. I will look into those links. My problem is really a relationship one, with him being a friend (with 0 experience with things like this) its hard to give a respectable quote. Especially when joe half ass at the cart place quotes 1200 in 15 hours. With that, it is probably something I will just have to get over and quote in my normal fashion. But very much thank you for getting back to me.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.