Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Preloading images using jQuery

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lord-t
    Participant

I want to preload my images I have on my site because their file size are pretty huge. And it takes like 4 seconds to load when I look at it in a browser the first time(uncached). How would I achieve that by using jQuery? Javascript works as long as it gets the job done.

Paulie_D
    Shikkediel
    Participant

Shane’s link led to this, which I thought was particularly interesting :

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

Some of the advice there, like using inline JS to speed things up would not be something I’d ever consider though. But I’ll definitely be looking at leveraging browser caching myself.

A bit more on topic – preloading images won’t speed up the process itself. it can only take care of not seeing the images ‘build up’ while loading.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Okay, I guess there’s more to that than I thought. Interesting read in any case. Although it may not have a big impact on the relatively plain way of coding I do myself, it’s tempting to get the rating up from the 60-70 it is now.

8-D

Shikkediel
    Participant

Wow, simply adding some htaccess to enable deflate turned out to be a pretty good move. If the images are svg, that should save a lot of bytes…

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
      AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html
      AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css
      AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/javascript
      AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/xml
      AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain
      AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE image/x-icon
      AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE image/svg+xml
    </IfModule>

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.