Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Post or Page?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jtwa11
    Participant

I’m a little confused when to use posts if I don’t have a blog.

My problem is as follows, should I create a post for each building and put the information that i need like; id, src, alt, title, p

http://codepen.io/anon/pen/dPeXKV?editors=110

Here is the page I’m trying to convert to wordpress.

http://rcjaneproperties.com/

Senff
    Participant

Indeed, I would definitely look into using Custom Post Types for this. Every apartment would be a post of type “building” (or something), and if you want you can add custom fields to each of those.

For custom posts, I used to use Custom Posts UI (nowadays I do it with custom code in plugins), and for custom fields, Advanced Custom Fields would make most sense in my opinion.

Jtwa11
    Participant

Thank for the help.

I’m a little confused with Custom Posts and Advanced Custom Fields

Can you walk me through how I would design the front page?

Check out the site and click a building picture.
    http://rcjaneproperties.com/

What is my 1st step?

Paulie_D
    Jtwa11
    Participant

The whole point of making this post is to get help.

For my home page, what would I do? I’m not looking for a video of someone doing it. All I’m looking for is some direction.

For example,
    1. Create a Custom Post Type, name it “Apartment”
    2. Create a taxonomoy and name it “ApartmentBuilding”
    3. Create a taxonomoy and name it “ApartmentFlat”
    4. Create the following custom fields (Name, Address, Description)

I’m looking for some direction. I learn by doing, but I need some help. Can someone confirm if what I’m doing is correct or incorrect? If it’s incorrect, how would i go about it.

Also, for custom fields; are there certain settings I should change for my situation and the reason for changing certain settings.

Thanks in advanced to anyone that helps!

Senff
    Participant

The problem here is not the coding itself — it’s how you’re going to structure your data.

I think it’s clear that every building will be a post, so you create a Custom Post Type called “building”.

Taxonomies: try to list all the types of categories in which you can sort/categorize your buildings. When I do this, I usually try to see if this would be a legit question: “show me all buildings that are….“.

• You want to be able to sort all your buildings by number of floors? Create a taxonomy called “floors” or “stories” with possible values “1”, “2”, “3”, etc.
    • You want to be able to sort all your buildings by area? Create a taxonomy called “area” with possible values “north”, “south”, etc.
    • You want to be able to sort all your buildings by price? Create a taxonomy called “price” or “value” with possible values such as “100-200k”, “200-300k”, etc.
    • You want to be able to sort all your buildings by type? Create a taxonomy called “type” with possible values such as “office”, “residential”, etc.

Anything you can think of related to how you might want to sort your buildings at any point, you should create a taxonomy for that.

Custom Fields: add custom field types for any unique data related to the building that’s unique and that you don’t really ever want to use to sort your buildings. For example, the following data would make sense:
    – address
    – size in square feet
    – phone number
    – photos

So, having said that, it’s all up to you how you want to structure this, so only you can decide what taxonomies and custom fields you should create.

Jtwa11
    Participant

That was such a helpful post! Thank you!

You cleared up a lot. I appreciate it

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.