Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Positioning Pseudo Elements

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rashidhmoud
    Participant

Hi,

I’m trying to make a speech bubble with an arrow pointing to the user portrait and I have managed to do it, but I need someone to tell me what happens when I remove the Position (relative) property?

Here is the code: (Go to line 19 in CSS)
    https://codepen.io/rashidhmoud/pen/dZrjLw

Thanks.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Then your pseudo element will be positioned in relation to the first parent that does have any other positioning than static. If there is none, window itself will be the reference (I believe).

Beverleyh
    Participant

It’s to keep the arrow placement “connected” to the main bubble parent. Remove it and the arrow will be positioned relative to the document body, or to the closest ancestor element with relative positioning.

Beverleyh
    Participant

More info https://css-tricks.com/absolute-positioning-inside-relative-positioning/

And also “Hello” Edo! :) I can’t type very quickly on mobile.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Lol and hi, finally the shoe is on my other foot for once.

rashidhmoud
    Participant

Okay…

BUT what I know is this: elements that are positioned (absolute) is positioned relative to the nearest positioned ancestor…

So what if I rap the box with a new div so that the pseudo-element is positioned absolutely to box without needing the position relative!

Beverleyh
    Participant

elements that are positioned (absolute) is positioned relative to the nearest positioned ancestor

No – they’re position relative to the document body, unless a parent has a position of relative, then the absolutely positioned element is positioned relative to that. Please read the article linked for more info.

So what if I rap the box with a new div so that the pseudo-element is positioned absolutely to box without needing the position relative!

I wouldn’t work without the relative positioning. If you don’t put relative positioning on the/a parent (immediate or extra wrapper, or something else higher up the DOM) the arrow will be positioned relative to the body element.

rashidhmoud
    Participant

Oh I see.

thank you very much.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.