Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS positioning problem…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    stevedeer

hi all… why is my yellow box not positioned to the bottom right of the red box?

http://jsfiddle.net/stevedeer/QtZWy/23/

cheers

Mottie

Try this. All I did was add “position: relative” to the red box and change the yellow to “position: absolute”.

Check out this primer on how to use positions and floats, it helped me when I first started out.

stevedeer

mottie… thank you very much!

artsibelle
    Participant

Right on Mottie.

@stevedeer
    : what you did the first time essentially said, “yellow box, relative to the current position you’re in, shift to the right by 0px, then shift to the bottom by 0px”. That’s why it didn’t move! : )

In absolute positioning you’re sort of looking from the perspective of the container (the red box in your case). So what you really wanted to say was :

“I want the bottom of my yellow box to be 0px away from the bottom edge of its container, and the right side of my yellow box to be 0px away from the right edge of its container”.

Not confusing I hope, it takes some getting used to : )

stevedeer

ah… so ‘position:relative’ in the red box kinda switches it on as an enclosing container? But what if I want the red box to have an auto height (the copy in the red box should push the yellow box down and make the red box longer), wouldn’t that cause problems with the absolute positioned yellow box?

artsi… cheers. Yep it’s confusing but the penny will drop at some point ;-)

Mottie

The problem with absolutely positioned elements is that they are taken out of the flow of the page, so if the outer box gets a lot more text inside, it will flow behind the yellow box.

As for the content in the red box, it will expand… up, since it is attached to the bottom right corner.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.