Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Placeholder jumps on input:focus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    grimski
    Participant

I’ve never noticed this before but on this design I’m working on the placeholder text jumps when the input is in focus. I think I’ve found out why but it would be good if anyone can think of a solution.

It looks like it occurs when the line-height is greater than the height of the input. Which I’ve had to do to centre the text.

I’ve created a CodePen showing the issue. Note I had to exaggerate the line-heightin this example. On my site it’s only height: 30px; line-height: 32px; …line-height: 31px, 1px greater causes the issue on what I’m working on.

http://codepen.io/anon/pen/eJqoOq

I”m using the Myriad Pro web font, which (reading some threads searched for on Google) seems to have some line-height issues which is why I think it’s worse with that font in particular. As alignment seems to differ between OSX and Windows.

bearhead
    Participant

I think the root of the issue is that the placeholder font-size is larger than the input text font size. It seems like setting line-height to 1.8rem or 18px (so it matches the placeholder font) for the input fixes the jumping.

grimski
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, that stops the text from jumping but unfortunately the text isn’t centralised.

Maybe I’ll just have to do this though and add padding-top to account for the alignment.

bearhead
    Participant

What browser are you using? I tested it in IE11, chrome and FF and the text seems like it’s in the middle.

The only issue I saw in IE and FF is that the placeholder font is not a different size.

Shikkediel
    Participant

I see the jump with Chrome on Windows 7 as well. Using padding instead seems worth a try.

grimski
    Participant

After using Myriad Pro Condensed from TypeKit the issue looks like it’s been resolved. Due to the fact I can now set a lower line-height.

For some reason the generated version I used from fonts on my computer added some nutty line-heights which differed from OSX to Windows. Weird.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.