Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End PHP Forms Tuts & Resources

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    tjgriffiths1
    Participant

Hi All,

I am building a form, and am new to PHP. I am trying to get my head around building and testing forms locally on my computer, using MAMP for testing. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good resources for learning about this?

Thanks

__
    Participant

Is there something specific you don’t understand? Do you know how forms (GET and POST) work, or is it just a question about how PHP handles it?

The Friendly Manual is a good place to start. (N.B., while $_REQUEST is a thing, you should always use $_GET or $_POST, as appropriate, instead.)

tjgriffiths1
    Participant

No, I am absolutely new to PHP, so GET & POST are still quite a new idea, and I would like something to help me get my head around how they work. Thanks for your suggestion. I will check it out now.

__
    Participant

GET and POST are HTTP methods (i.e., what your web browser uses), and have nothing to do with PHP specifically. $_GET and $_POST are php variables that are automatically created and filled with the info from GET and POST requests, respectively.

If you don’t yet understand how HTTP works, particularly with regards to forms, things will go a lot smoother if you spend a few minutes on that first.

Also, if you’re “absolutely new” to PHP, you need to learn the syntax (rules for different types of code and how to make it valid) first also. What “arrays” and “strings” are, what brackets do, where semicolons go, how to use functions, and so forth. It won’t make sense if you are hazy on the basics.

Try PHP the Right Way.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.