Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Photographic Arts Organization site

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    maro
    Participant

Hi everyone. I’m on the finishing stages of this rebuild of my Lightroom website. The old site is outdated and I wanted to create a new version in wordpress

the theme was created from scratch..thanks to all the great resources Chris provides here. Some of the styling is still being tweaked but any overall feedback would be appreciated.

thanks so much!

http://www.photodelphia.org/lightupandlisten/ – it’s sitting on a temp server right now.

Here is the a link to the orginal site http://www.philacpi.org/

Luminated

I dig it, very easy to navigate, clean and attractive as well. The first thing that I really noticed is, since most of the content is "below the fold", can you have the main banner picture change, so users know they have moved to another page and/or embed/overlay the name of the page they are viewing on top of the corresponding banner picture? When I was browsing the site, my eyes were unaware that I moved to a new page (even though I can see the content change below, it really wasn’t enough).

Otherwise, the main navigation could be a bit more prominent, as the top SMM links seem to take precedence over the it.

Also, can the icons on the SMM navbar link and possibly light up? My mouse automatically went to click the icons rather than the link…and I think if they turned color, it could give the page a very light but much needed splash of color to compare to the very high contrast theme you got going.

I also noticed the links on the top bump right, the links on the bottom bump left. Perhaps just choose one or the other? Also, maybe you want to animate that with some jquery? Check out this technique I used on this site for an idea (feel free to lift the code):

http://granitebasinroofing.com/

Perhaps try a non-serif font on the type, since nothing about the site really cries for any kind of serifs, especially with that logo.

With those changes, then the website might, indeed, rock my ass. :geek:

maro
    Participant

Thanks for taking a close look. You pointed out all the things that are on phase two, before I launch the site. I was torn about having the social icons light up on roll-over but I think that’s my best bet. so good call.

Once I get large images for all of the sections I will certainly take your advice and have them change depending on the section. I believe I can do that with url id.

I dig your jquery roll-over. Def smooth. Not sure If I want to keep that function at all. We’ll see.

thanks again. I’m diggin some of your sites. nice clean work

Luminated

Thanks duder.

As far as the header image changing, WordPress Conditional Tags can do it. Here’s a good link also:

http://www.wprecipes.com/how-to-use-mul … ress-theme
    :mrgreen:

maro
    Participant

nice, thanks for the link!

craigfarrall

Hi,

Here is my critique on the design…

First off let me say how much better this website is compared to the old one, I think the client will be very pleased. But with every design, we can always find something to improve:

I actually really like the header section and I especially like the menu on the right hand side, with the icons and the nice rollover, I think you have done a great job there.

The footer with "we support them" etc, this bit certainly lets the website down in my opinion. It is great up till that point, then just looks pointless and looks like it has just been chucked there – I think you should try and fancy up that bit.

Events page – I think this is missing some images in the main of the events somewhere, the one image that is there tells me nothing to be honest. Also the big bold italic writing there, doesn’t look good in my opinion.

I think all the inner pages are missing some images to brighten the content area up more, add more and this will certainly make the inner pages visually appealing.

Lastly, the main header image, what about changing this image depending on what section your in? I think this would be a good idea if you have the right photography.

Hope this helps.

maro
    Participant

Craig,

your feedback it certainly helps. thanks for taking a look. I agree on all fronts.

This organization is my own, so no real client.

I def need to add content to the footer / make it look a bit nicer.

Once I populate the site with some content , copy and images I too think it will help the inside pages.

Regarding the header changing, that is in the works.

I personally am hating those icons on the bottom menu, but I wanted to see how it all worked. Prob do something a lil slicker there.

thanks again

craigfarrall

No problem, anytime.

Let me know once the website is live so I can take a look at it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.