Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Permalinks in WordPress

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    danjev

Hi all,

I’m having an issue with permalinks. Once I’ve changed the permalinks settings from the default to another option my primary navigation links fall, you are sent to the 404 page. Why is this? What can I do to correct this?

(Running WordPress 3.1)

Cheers,

Dan

TheDoc

What type of server are you running on? Windows servers, for example, need a few workarounds to get permalinks to work properly.

danjev

Unix server as far as I know (should know really shouldn’t I).

TheDoc

What are you changing the permalinks to?

Can you check the .htaccess file to see if it’s being updated properly? Is one being created at all? (You should be able to find it in your site’s root)

danjev

Just changing it from default to ‘Day and Name’, but it’s the same result when I change it to any of the others.
    There is a .htaccess file present and I’m assuming it’s being updated.
    Should I delete the file and then change the permalinks settings? Will it create a new file?

TheDoc

It should, yes.

When you update your permalinks, does it mention anything about updating the htaccess file yourself?

Have you recently changed domain names or anything like that?

danjev

It’s a new install that I have done today and I’m going through setting up my new site.

danjev

Have just deleted the file and changed my permalink settings and the file has not been recreated, so if changed the file manually all should be sorted, correct?

TheDoc

If a new file is not being created, then it should be providing you with information to add to it yourself. If it’s not doing that, then you are having another issue altogether!

danjev

Yes I have noticed this just a few moments ago, so I have copied the text it’s given me, put this in a file called .htaccess, uploaded that to the server, but no luck.
    Thanks ‘TheDoc’ for helping me with this, it’s very much appreciated! Never had this trouble in the past with other WordPress sites, I guess they have updated this file automatically when changing the permalinks.

danjev

Ok, I copied the .htaccess file from the WP directory files, placed that on the sites root, pasted the text from the permalinks settings into the new .htaccess file and it now works. Finally!
    Thanks for setting me in the right direction TheDoc to get this resolved.
    Dan

TheDoc

No problem, glad you got it sorted.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.