Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Performance issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ineagu
    Participant

Hey everybody,

I am struggling lately on improving the rendering performance for our latest WordPress theme ( https://github.com/Codeinwp/Parallax-One / demo.themeisle.com/parallax-one ), any ideas how can I better measure this ? ( Tried Chrome profiler )

Also if there is anybody that can help with this ( like paid job ), I would be also happy to discuss.

Chromawoods
    Participant

Opening the Network tab in Chrome dev-tools, we can see that there are 127 requests being made with a grand total of 5.3MB. Maybe start there? :) background2.png took almost 13s to load for me right now. You need to do something about that.

How are you planning to optimize this for mobile devices? It seems that you are loading the same resources there too? That same background image takes about half a minute to download on a 3G network. I sure wouldn’t want to visit that site using a smartphone..

There are several other images that are quite large. Try to optimize, lazy load or remove them.

The Google Map is loading a lot of image resources, it seems. Maybe you could hold the map loading until the user is actually anywhere near it?

There might be other pain points. This was just the most obvious problem that I saw just glancing at the site.

ineagu
    Participant

Hey,

Thanks for answering and suggestions, here are my answers :

• this is a WordPress theme, so the users can use what image they like, smaller or bigger
    • how would you suggest to handle the mobile image in the theme ?

• We are working already on delaying the google map

Also most of the scripts/files are from the plugins used, which is not relevant, I am interested in how I can improve the performance for the theme itself :)

Chromawoods
    Participant
    • Not sure how to address your first point. We are talking about this implementation of the theme and what makes the rendering performance poor, right? The cached result dropped to ~1s for me, so that’s a pretty obvious hint that the downloading of resources is a problem
    • For mobile, I would either get rid of a lot of images completely, or make sure that smaller images are served and not the huge ones. Not sure if that background effect is useful on a smartphone anyway? And generally, consider serving assets from a CDN

Not sure what you mean by that last sentence either. If the number of plugins have a negative effect on performance, why is that not relevant? And what do you mean by the theme itself? Perhaps I am misunderstanding. :)

ineagu
    Participant

Hey,

Thanks for answering. I think I was not very clear, my question was about the WordPress theme from here : https://github.com/Codeinwp/Parallax-One , that link is more a showcase of it along with other plugins installed, custom settings, images.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.