Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other PC or Mac

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mattvot

From a purely designers point of view…

PC or Mac? Does it make a difference?

Also, list benefits and drawbacks of your choice if you have the time please.

Good tech support? Reliability? Security? Business Atmosphere?
    Would a client feel more confident with your abilities if you had a mac at the coffee shop meeting, rather than a pc?
    Stereotypical views from the client? etc

AshtonSanders
    Participant

lol. Here are my random thoughts:

If I had to guess, I would say a majority of people would be more impressed if you had a mac.

I only have PC’s because that is what I’m familiar with… and about 3% of my clients have seen my computer (or me ;)). I’ve heard Mac has some pretty inexpensive development programs (as opposed to Dreamweaver for PC), but then again the mac will probably be more expensive.

I say, use what you’re used to. You’re ability to make good websites should be more important than what type of computer you use.

I’ve also noticed that most software is first produced for PC’s and then the mac, so that can be annoying.

TheDoc

From a purely designer point of view? It doesn’t matter. The same set of skills can be applied to the programs on either side.

PC v Mac has nothing to do with design, it has to do with OS preference.

Both platforms have problems, it’s just a matter of which problems you want to deal with. Macs get the spinning beach ball of death, Windows users get the blue screen of death.

Apple has slowly but surely been introducing cheaper and cheaper parts into their products, something that I’m extremely disappointed with.

Will a client feel more comfortable with you owning a Mac? Your work should speak for itself. It shouldn’t matter how you do it, so long as you get results.

Now, having said that, I own a Mac at home where I part-time Freelance. At work, we’re all on PC’s. I do my job equally the same on both platforms. If I had to choose between one for the rest of my life, I would take OS X, because that’s what I prefer.

Matt

As I’ve said before, use what you’re used to. If you’re used to Windows, use a PC. Same with Mac. If you cannot be comfortable with what you’re using, or are blind to what you’re using, you become inefficient. Efficiency and creativity is key from a programming point of view. Same with designing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.