Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Past Browser Version Support Question.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mavericks
    Participant

One of the hardest things for me to do when working with CSS is making sure that the designs work not only in the current browser version but in past browser versions also. I’d like to know what you guys think about how many past versions of a browser do you try to support for your CSS designs?

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

My testing regiment is pretty simple. I open the page up in FireFox 2, Safari 3, Opera 9, and IE 6. Between these four, I figure I have my bases pretty much covered. I think I’ve been troubleshooting long enough that I can pretty much tell while I’m coding what little things might cause quirks and either stay away from that or code around it. Worst case scenario, site is a little borked in some weird browser and you need to go in and fix it. Usually not a big deal.

Luminated

As Chris said, what I’ve found interesting is that over time though is that as I learn more about web design, the less tweaks I need to do in any other browsers, including IE. Most of the time is very minor changes here and there, but the designs seem to work “out of the box” lately. I think this is a sign of knowledge and experience improving…knowing as you code what tactics are going to work better than others.

TheDoc

Hate it when a spammer digs up a three year old post!

FireFox 2 and IE6 have been chopped off most people’s list. As has Safari 3.

OniLinkCR

Man thanks for telling me Doc. I am about to chop off IE 6.0 as well.

TheDoc

We can do it by hand, but obviously that would be a tedious monstrosity. I’ll look into some sort of automation perhaps.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.