Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Page help!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    newcsskid

Hi im having a little trouble getting my head around linking to pages on css/html.

I have a main page and then I have 3 pages i want to link off of it.

My problem is, I link all the pages etc they all open up in a new window, which is what im after at the moment. However say my ‘portfolio’ page is underneath my ‘home’ page, so i just scroll down and it’s there and even when I click the link to go to the ‘portfolio’ page, the main menu plus the ‘portfolio’ page is just repeated :/

I’ve tried looking at other sites that are similar to mine but i just get lost in the codes.

I’ve tried making seperate .css sheets but this doesn’t help either.

newcsskid

I’d be really grateful for help on this, I think Ive jumped the gun to quick! I also use edit text.

Paulie_D

Do you have a link?

newcsskid

It’s not live if thats what you mean? but this is my html coding. I’m just completely lost on it really.

Paulie_D

Perhaps you could recreate your Code (HTML/CSS) in Codepen?

I confess that I’m not entirely sure how this is all supposed to work.

newcsskid

Hmm ….. you’re just as confused huh?!

Yeah I think I’m going to start from scratch using a site …

Thanks

Paulie_D

No…I’m just not understanding the problem.

Without seeing the issue first hand we can’t diagnose it properly.

For instance…this

>However say my ‘portfolio’ page is underneath my ‘home’ page, so i just scroll down and it’s there and even when I click the link to go to the ‘portfolio’ page, the main menu plus the ‘portfolio’ page is just repeated

doesn’t really make sense unless ALL of your pages have the same code…assuming you actually have 4 separate pages and not one long page with different sections.

If it was the latter then there should be no need to open each ‘page’ in a separate tab.

On that subject, although opinions differ, it is usually preferable to let the user decide whether they want to open links in new tabs rather than force the choice on them.

newcsskid

The pages have different codes. I don’t want a long page with different sections. I’m unsure of what to put in the .css or html so that they become seperate.

Paulie_D

So you do have 4 separate HTML files, one for each page…right?

newcsskid

This is where I’ve been getting confused I think! So for each page I need separate htmls but I can use 1 style sheet? …Up until now I’ve not seen anything about using separate htmls just separate sheets or one sheet! ……..

That’s what you’re getting at right?

Paulie_D

In general you would have a separate HTML file for each page.

You would only have (ideally) a single CSS file which would affect **all** the pages at the same time.

Without getting too complicated, you **can** have separate CSS files for individual pages but that leads to a lot or repetitive work when you want to make a global change. I’d leave that until you are a little further along.

newcsskid

Cool, ok!

I’m a little bit more clear now on it now, I’ll check it out and see if that’s my problem. Thanks for your help!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.