Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS overflowing content

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    magician

Please look at the site I am working on: http://www.marksouthworth.co.uk.

The problem is with the right column. I have had to specify a height for the last div element – .testimonials2 {
    If i dont do this and i add content it overflows longer than my column on the left. How do i make it so that both the left and right grow equally? Thanks.

Also it renders badly in ie 6 and i am stuck on hoe to fix this.

chazzwick

Either use a background image 1px high ,that is white and gray, and repeat it vertically.

Or you can use a Jquery plugin (http://www.filamentgroup.com/lab/setting_equal_heights_with_jquery/)

magician

Could you please be specific to my code as my #content_wrap seems to serve no purpose as it doesnt even get picked up in firebug but if i do away with it it messes up my content.

I dont know why this is happening, normally, it is as easy as a container div with 2 columns, both floated with widths declared?

magician

I appreciate the help, and that to me would seem the logical way around this problem but if you try it yourself it doesnt work, the content_wrap doesnt seem to hold any colour or bg image at all, though without it the content floats mess up. Please help.

magician

Thanks again, desnt work, think i will just have to accept its not going to work.

magician

Seems like I can only get the bg image to appear if i declare a height on the content_wrapper? But then, if I do this it pushes all the right column content down?

magician

Locally on my machine I have it down to 4 warnings, but it validates, but it still doesnt work right without declaring a height for the #content_wrap. So bottom line is, how do I bypass having to put a height for the div. Currently if I add more content on the columns I then have to change the height of the content_wrap div which is not practical.
    Furthermore even if i do this and I want to add more conent to the right column it still overflows over the content_wrap if i dont change the height.

magician
    "apostrophe" wrote:
    With the code I just posted you can add as much content as you like without declaring a height and the #content_wrap will stretch to accomodate it.

NOo sorry doesnt work, if i add conent to the testimonials2 div it overflows the content wrapper.
    If i add content to the left column the div grows with it but not with the right column as it overlaps.

apostrophe
    Participant

It works on my machine. Just take the height off #testimonials2.

magician

nah,

magician

nah, it doesnt work, see attached, I have even wrapped the whole of the right content in an additional div to no avail:
    http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2484/problemhxd.jpg

apostrophe
    Participant

It works perfectly in FF on my mac.
    #content_wrap set overflow to hidden
    Otherwise update the online page and I’ll have another look.

magician

i will update tonight and buzz you whn up. i have tried overflow hidden but it solves the overhanging bit but hiudes anything longer than the first column within the 2nd column.

magician

OMG you are a genius thanks for all your input. I….welll. you have cracked it> Thankyou so much.

apostrophe
    Participant

Now that’s magic ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.