Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Opinions on my site and use of the anything slider?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    joelmb

I’d like to know what you guys think of my site and the Anything Slider use. I added the purple ‘slits’ (for want of a better word!) today and I’m a little undecided about it really. So feel free to tell me what you think of that and the site in general! Be kind, it’s taken a while ;)

http://mediamarble.com/home.html

Mottie

Hi Joelmb!

I actually like it :)

I do have one suggestion though, I think the slides need a background. Even a black background with a 50% transparency or something because the slides “feel” like they should be separate from the background… maybe I’m just crazy ;) LOL

standuncan

In my personal opinion, your markup needs help. Not trying to be rude, just want to be honest about it. Image maps, almost all inline and embedded CSS styles (except for plugin styles), naming conventions, case use, etc. If I had to guess I would say you mainly use the design view in DW and let it do a lot of coding for you… and in this day in age I just don’t think it’s going to cut the mustard.

Functionality wise, you are using the primary navigation for the slider, yet each portfolio piece (secondary navigation) is the same hierarchy. It wouldn’t be as bad if the small secondary nav (the thumbnails) didn’t scroll between slides too. I’m sure this could be confusing to the average user.

standuncan

Also I kept scrolling around looking for an arrow or prev/next nav to appear on the side or bottom of the slider so I could scroll left/right. I think it would help users understand that your slides are essentially your pages if you added some active or current states to your primary navigation and all the portfolio slides should leave the “Portfolio” nav item highlighted?

joelmb

Thanks Mottie. Yes I see your point and experimented, in the end decided I didn’t like the side ‘slits’ and used your suggestion to make a containing background instead.

Thanlks too standuncan for your comments; yes I know the code is a bit of a mess; it’s in the pipeline to get this re-coded cleanly.

As far as the button rollover nav goes i agree it needs that. there is an active state rollover but as the page never changes when clicking on the top nav the active state never remains (though it does on my android phone curiously). can you suggest a solution? i guess pure css but wont i run in to the same active state / page not changing problem?

joelmb

thanks for pointing that out steve had bkg img as fixed, hopefully cured now?

joelmb

Yup, cleaning up the 90’s code is my next priority! even though i did like the 90’s. kinda retro coding no? ;)

>CONTACT use labels with the radio buttons, will allow users to click on text >also
    >PORFOLIO navigation is confusing

Good tips, thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.