Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Opinions on Metro-Style Websites?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Odd_E

So with the new release of Windows 8, and the new Metro( oops Windows 8 UI ) interface, sites are becoming more and more Metro.
    So what do you guys think, is it the future of web design? Bound to fall on its face? Or just a fad for a few sites suited for it? Microsoft even has a tutorial for creating one.

Odd_E

Anyone?

If by Metro design you mean grid system, then they are here to stay. It isn’t like Microsoft invented them though.

chrisburton
    Participant

True. Microsoft wasn’t the original creator to a box-like grid system. It’s been around for a while.

Odd_E

I mean the specific style of grid with horizontal scrolling and Segoe UI based typography. The grid system is different.

I’m not sure I understand what you are asking then? It appears to me as though you want to know if side-scrolling sites, using Segoe, are going to be the future of the web?

chrisburton
    Participant

What would a single typeface have to do with being the future of the web? Anyway, I see Neutraface in the example.

Odd_E

Nevermind.

theacefes

Nevermind? Did you find the answer you were looking for or did you just get frustrated because you didn’t get the answer you were expecting?

Perhaps you could be a little more specific in your question. Are you looking for an opinion (there are tons here) or a “right or wrong” answer?

dfogge
    Participant

needs moar drop shadows/rounded corners

Odd_E

I’m looking for an opinion. You guys don’t get what I’m trying to say. Windows 8 brings a new grid system. While grids and horizontal sites already existed, do you think Microsoft’s particular style, not only their design, but made popular by Win8, will make web designers want to make their sites flow better in Win8, by using the specific dimensions and style set by Microsoft.

chrisburton
    Participant

@odd_e Like we’ve said, it’s been around for quite some time, they weren’t the originators. So saying it’s “new” isn’t correct and makes what you’ve stated confusing. Do I think it will have an impact on the community? Probably not since they aren’t the “go to” for design inspiration. Just look at their new logo.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.