Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Online test template

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    chauhanheena
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m looking for an online test template. It a free test that can be taken by anyone who visits my client’s website and the results need to be displayed to the user with recommended courses based on his score. The results need not be stored.

reference link:
    This is the standard format for online tests:
    http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/test-your-english/for-schools/

Can this be done using html, css, javascript/jquery. Coz i’m not comfortable in php yet.

Thanks

@shikkediel

Shikkediel
    Participant

First part sound doable but ‘trouble’ starts when the results need to be stored. In what way should this be accessible? If you would like to later (dynamically) retrieve the data, I don’t really see how this could be done without php and a MySQL database. The latter of which is not a specialty of myself (is an understatement).

In the simplest approach imaginable, the outcome of the test could be stored without a database but I think it would still require some php to write any new results to a text file.

chauhanheena
    Participant

@shikkediel

@nkrisc

I dnt need to save the results. the visitor can take the free test without any login credetials, answer al the questions (mostly option based questions and fill in the blanks (they might have more than one correct answer). calculate the result, display it to the user after he completes the test and thats about it. the score can be forgotten after its displayed to the user. i dont need to store the score anythere. there are 100 questions in the test.
    i got a small code snippet that works but again thats not what i really want. this displays only one question at a time but i want to display 5- 10 questions per page. Other wise the code workds fine. But dnt know if its good for 100 questions.

here is the code snippet

http://codepen.io/chauhanheena/pen/GgyGpE

the questions are something like this

a. Demonstrative and common adjectives

1. This movie is very scary. (These/Those/This)
    2. Can you see that house? (Those/That/These)
    3. These books are available online. (These/That/This)

b. possessives

Are you _______ brother?
    The ______ tail is thick and bushy.
    ____ going for Suman and Diya’s wedding.

Thanks

Shikkediel
    Participant

The results need not be stored.

I think I was a bit dyslexic there, reading the not for a to. :-/
    The script seems to work well – what new features are you looking for?
    A redirect based on the score (maybe after a minimum of 15 or so questions) seems easy enough.

chauhanheena
    Participant

@shikkediel

yeah, the no. of questions per slide can vary based on no.of questions under each section. and i’m not able to implement that in the code snippet. currently its only one question per slide.
    also, will it be a problem if the person views the source and will be able to get the answers to the question as its all javascript?

Shikkediel
    Participant

If they’re clever enough to find the answers by accessing the files, chances are they’d ace the free test anyway. :-)
    You could minify the script though, making it a lot harder to read.

One question per slide isn’t such a bad thing, it might help keep focus rather than a page full of questions. But I’d generally warn the user what’s going on (show a counter, maybe create some chapters) and not automatically set a redirect after a hundred questions.

The one item per page is interwoven with how the loop of checking answers works. Would be quite a workaround to show and compute multiple.

Anonymous
    Inactive

the score can be forgotten after its displayed to the user.

If this is to promote a business (perhaps it’s for a school or college?), then it might be useful for you to know some details. For example, how many people start the test compared to the number finishing it? Are there any pages in particular that are associated with dropout? I guess this depends in part on the contract…

chauhanheena
    Participant

@BenWalker : The client wants the visitor to take an online test of English and in the end ,the results show the level of his/her english competency and recommend courses in the result section.Thats about it.

@shikkediel
    @nkrisc
    I guess i can worry less bout the logic being implemented on client side. Buti do need to displat more than one ques on the page. is there some other way i can do this. may be an completely different approach.

Shikkediel
    Participant

I’ve looked online for a more suitable template but I can’t say I found anything recommendable. The current script is actually quite slick, apart from the fact the single question setup isn’t appropriate. But I don’t really see an easy way to change it around so at the moment I’m stuck on the approach of just making a big form (or multiple) – which is basically what the script here does (be it one step at a time).

@chauhanheena

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.