Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End One WordPress Install, Multiple Subdomains

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    TheDoc

Hey guys, it’s come a time where I finally need to get into using a CMS as a particular project has just grown too large!

I have a static website that is getting some friends… 19 to be precise! Essentially I’m going from one website, who we’ll call http://www.jiggins.abc, that will turn into 20 different local sites (vancouver.jiggins.abc, victoria.jiggns.abc, calgary.jiggins.abc, etc etc).

Each site will essentially have the same layout, the only difference will be the logos and the ads. They will all have the same navigation, the only difference being the "Events" and "Local" sections for each site will be different (they will contain different information depending on which regional website you are in).

So, my question! Can all of this be achieved with one install of WP. For example, if I have to change something in the Health section, I want to edit one page in WP and have it be reflected across all 20 sites.

I don’t think I need anything more powerful than WP, it’s not an overly complicated site. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

mattvot

I would DEFINITELY suggest using WordPress MU. It even comes with the feature of using subdomains and it is pretty easy to set up if you know what your doing. Unfortunately there’s not alot of helpful documentation. But I find i pretty self explanatory.

http://mu.wordpress.org/

In regards to changing each page at the same time (eg. Health) You could knock up a php script to do it, and if your really eager you could release it as a WordPress MU plugin, if there isn’t one already.

TheDoc
    "mattvot" wrote:
    In regards to changing each page at the same time (eg. Health) You could knock up a php script to do it, and if your really eager you could release it as a WordPress MU plugin, if there isn’t one already.

Would I simply be able to add some simple PHP dealy like:

Code:

And put that for each subdomain’s Health template?

mattvot

I would create a separate template file or posts in a theme for each blog and use this loop filter (sortof) to grab the data from a universal blog then query to only display on post (the health one).

Code:

Source: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic/11529

Does this make sence?

TheDoc

Each subdomain will have it’s own template for sure, since logos, ads, contacts, etc, it’s just a matter of pulling content from the main site. So just to clarify, this is what I’m trying to acheive:

[attachment=0]one-install.jpg[/attachment]

mattvot

yep, so the code in my previous post should work for that. The $n is the unique blog number. Each site can have it’s own theme and permissions can be controlled by the site administrator, so Vancouver cannot edit Toronto. It’s just a matter of putting the code in a template for the Health page and set the blog id number to the appropriate Unique number for "Canada – Health"

mattvot

On a separate note, why is CMS the way to go? Why not hard code php? Such as

In the events part ( and local, and where parts need to be different per location, eg ads.)
    <?php
    if( $_SERVER == ‘vancouver.jiggins.abc’) {
    include ‘vancouver_events.php’;
    } elseif( $_SERVER == ‘toronto.jiggins.abc’) {
    include ‘toronto_events.php’;
    } etc…
    ?>

I would recommend making your own custom system. This way you have full control and unerstanding

TheDoc

I’ve thought about it, but I eventually want to hand this over. It’s currently just one site, which I handle myself and I implement includes right now.

Due to the fact that I want to hand it over (and/or may have a person in each city take care of their own sites and have just 1 main admin), it needs to be easy/simple with little to no code knowledge.

mattvot

Why don’t you set us a easy cms using one of the free wysiwyg text editors out there, such as http://www.fckeditor.net/

TheDoc

I’m not a programmer by any means, setting up my own CMS is not particularly an option unfortunately.

mattvot

in that case, some form of wordpress is probably the way to go

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.