Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Old Browser Support

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Tim
    Participant

Hi,

Now that it’s 2014, what browsers should one still support? I think supporting Firefox 24+, Chrome 28+, Safari 5+, Opera 17+, and IE9+ is sufficient enough that you still support most people. Any thoughts?

Thanks

chrisburton
    Participant

There’s really no reason I can think of not to support the latest releases.

Google Chrome Frame supports IE 6-9.

Tim
    Participant

But when making new sites, how far out of your way should you go to support IE6?

Alen
    Participant

But when making new sites, how far out of your way should you go to support IE6?

If you have any data you can base your decision on do that. If not design for latest and let the experience degrade. Add analytics and track the data and make fixes. Take iterative approach and ship, don’t listen what others have to say about what you should support. Collect data and make informed decision.

Tim
    Participant

Ok, I’ll probably focus more on just supporting more current browsers and try and collect goods stats on browser statistics.

__
    Participant

You also have to define what you mean by “support.” Does it have to look exactly the same as it does in the most recent version of webkit? Probably not. Does it need to be usable? With a very few exceptions, yes, definitely.

nixnerd
    Participant

@Alen sent me this when I asked a similar question. This is a VERY good read in my personal opinion:

http://bradfrostweb.com/blog/mobile/support-vs-optimization/

shadowhywind
    Participant

It also depends on what your clients\your needs are. Currently working a client that their entire office is still running IE8, so we have had to go and make changes so that it is supported.

Alen
    Participant

My current client stats, a lot of people still on XP… Not everyone is using latest and greatest…

TheDoc

We don’t support anything under IE8 and even then we’re close to giving that the boot as well. Of course, we make sure nothing is broken in IE8, but pixel perfect it will not be.

Tim
    Participant

I think IE8 is a good cutoff for general support/regular testing as a large percentage of users are on IE8 and IE7- are significantly worse.

sudhakar1
    Participant

I Think the developer now a days check for the browser compatibility in IE7 to new version its computable for firefox and chorme browser…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.