Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Offering WordPress to clients

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jshjohnson

Hello,

When offering WordPress as a service to clients, are you expected to develop them a theme from scratch or adapt an existing theme to a design (more like a child theme)?

I’m more of a designer than a developer and the thought of developing a theme from scratch haunts me.

Cheers,
    Josh

TheDoc

It depends on what you’re offering. Those are two separate projects that depend on a client’s needs.

If developing a theme from scratch haunts you, my recommendation would be to partner with somebody that doesn’t think such scary thoughts!

chrisburton
    Participant

@jshjohnson I’m a letterer (former web designer) and I was the same way. I use a pre-made blank template. It’s completely stripped of styling and just adds the very basic content. This allows you to build it up for what the project needs.

Since Chris posted a screencast long ago on how to go from PSD to WordPress and used a specific theme called “Starkers” (which does the same thing), everyone will recommend it. However, it’s really “bulky” and I never liked it. Below is a template I have used for a while now and can’t say enough about it.

Template

@kgscott284
    You’d really love my former employer then.

sap7724
    Participant

I have had a similar experience. I am a graphic designer learning to code my own sites but I had a client who wanted to control her backend so WordPress became a better option. What i did was explain that I was going to use a template and purchase the bundle to customize the css so that she would be able to control her text but I would control the design, even if a small amount of it. I was honest and explained that she could do the process without me and save some money or I could do it, and then train her on it. She went with that and I charged $350 to set the whole thing up and then do WordPress training too. Really she paid me for the hand holding but sometimes that is all a client wants.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.