The Lodge is members-only design/dev videos and Office Hours.

Next Office Hours Session: "Implementing an SVG Icon System" Nov 30 - 6:00 PM Eastern

Offering WordPress to clients

• # July 17, 2012 at 7:20 pm

When offering WordPress as a service to clients, are you expected to develop them a theme from scratch or adapt an existing theme to a design (more like a child theme)?

I’m more of a designer than a developer and the thought of developing a theme from scratch haunts me.

# July 17, 2012 at 7:23 pm

It depends on what you’re offering. Those are two separate projects that depend on a client’s needs.

If developing a theme from scratch haunts you, my recommendation would be to partner with somebody that doesn’t think such scary thoughts!

# July 17, 2012 at 8:00 pm

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

and please please please, if you are going to modify themes, do not charge the same price as developing from scratch…

There are a few guys locally that buy templates and charge a minimum of $2000 just to add 5 pages of content and a logo and they have absolutely NO coding experience whatsoever…which is complete bullsh**.

So, just make sure you are pricing your services properly…It pisses me off to see un-honest people taking away work from us guys who put in the time to learn everything and do it the right way.

# July 17, 2012 at 8:02 pm

@jshjohnson I’m a letterer (former web designer) and I was the same way. I use a pre-made blank template. It’s completely stripped of styling and just adds the very basic content. This allows you to build it up for what the project needs.

Since Chris posted a screencast long ago on how to go from PSD to WordPress and used a specific theme called “Starkers” (which does the same thing), everyone will recommend it. However, it’s really “bulky” and I never liked it. Below is a template I have used for a while now and can’t say enough about it.

@kgscott284 You’d really love my former employer then.

# July 18, 2012 at 5:28 am

@ChristopherBurton – Thanks! I’ll look into that theme. I always felt like I could do less if I used someone else’s theme.

# July 18, 2012 at 8:25 am

I have had a similar experience. I am a graphic designer learning to code my own sites but I had a client who wanted to control her backend so WordPress became a better option. What i did was explain that I was going to use a template and purchase the bundle to customize the css so that she would be able to control her text but I would control the design, even if a small amount of it. I was honest and explained that she could do the process without me and save some money or I could do it, and then train her on it. She went with that and I charged $350 to set the whole thing up and then do WordPress training too. Really she paid me for the hand holding but sometimes that is all a client wants.

# July 18, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I concur – when we’ve ever just configured templates, we call a spade a spade and there is a clear difference between “custom design” versus “template customization”. At the end it ends up being just a consulting fee for the hand holding piece of it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

There's a whole bunch of content on CSS-Tricks.

Search for Stuff   •   Browse the Archives

Get the Newsletter ... or get the RSS feed