Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript no js, just css slideshow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Attila Hajzer
    Participant

so i took a look at the new SCREENCAST for css tricks thaat chris posted the other day. and it just got me thinging, since you can do all of those siquencing in css with just a few images and a little bit of intuition, would it be possible to get rid of javascript all together when making a slideshow?!

its just a thought, i would love feed back.

Brightonmike

I imagine it’d be possible, but it would need to be cross-browser compatible which might be very difficult to achieve, whereas current js solutions will work on pretty much any browser. I don’t think from a page loading time point of view it’d be worth the effort, as with sliders the part that takes longest to load is the images themselves – not the script. For example I use nivo slider quite a lot, and the JS file is only 6.9kb.

jimsilverman

like @brightonmike said, cross-browser compatibility would be a major issue, which is why we’re cursed to rely on javascript for the time being.

there are some css-only slideshow solutions that do work cross-browser, but they are very limited in functionality/format. check out http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/ if you want to see more. this guy’s been making css-only slideshows since 2006.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.