Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End NGINX configuration

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

@traq Perhaps you know what I’m doing wrong here. Let me give you the steps I took.

• Installed Nginx on my VPS (Centos 6)
    • Quit Apache to avoid conflict of Nginx running on port 80
    • Started up Nginx

I checked my website (domain.com) and I received a 404 error.

• Edited nginx.conf (location portion) to index index.html index.htm index.php; to allow php scripts to be executed
    • Edited default.conf (server portion) to reflect the location of my public html folder

Checked website again and still get a 404 error but this time my index.php file was trying to download. To avoid vulnerabilities (database stuff) from being seen, I took it down.

Could you help me to configure Nginx for Centos 6? The following are my config files:

nginx.conf
    default.conf

Alen
    Participant

You need to pass on the request to the socket. I’m on mobile now, but something like

location ~ \.php$ {
                fastcgi_split_path_info ^(.+\.php)(/.+)$;
                # NOTE: You should have "cgi.fix_pathinfo = 0;" in php.ini

# With php5-cgi alone:
                # fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:9000;
                # With php5-fpm:
                fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock;
                fastcgi_index index.php;
                include fastcgi_params;
        }

nixnerd
    Participant

See @chrisburton? That block you had commented out is what is needed. Pretty sure php-fpm is a package you’ll have to install separately though. It’s been a minute since I configured mine. Digital Ocean has great tuts and they should be no different on any other VPS provider for the most part.

chrisburton
    Participant

Thanks, Alen!

@joe_temp
    Yeah, I tried installing php-fpm but keep getting conflicts. I’ll try to figure it out.

nixnerd
    Participant

Hmmm. Feel free to post the conflicts you’re getting if you get stuck. That way, we can help out as we can.

Sorry this is such a pain. I found the Nginx setup to be much easier than Apache.

chrisburton
    Participant

I really screwed things up with the command line so I have to start over.

__
    Participant

Are you following any particular guide? This one looks pretty nice.

chrisburton
    Participant

@traq I’m going with Ubuntu this time around. They have better and more tutorials. I really want to use HHVM but haven’t found a suitable tutorial to follow for Centos 6.

__
    Participant

the guide I linked to has an Ubuntu version. basically the same, but with apt-get instead of yum.

Alen
    Participant

I learned so much about provisioning by visiting Vaprobash on GitHub and looking at various install scripts. Visit servers for hackers as well. Lots of good info.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.