Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Next step in Web Design career path

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    eristic
    Participant

Hi all,

I know the whole “just make websites” mantra and that’s what I’m doing, but I am really stuck on what to do next. Basically, I’ve run out of friends who have businesses that need websites. And I’ve run out of friends of friends, etc.

I’ve checked out elance, but it seems like the people on there want a site for super cheap. I’ve looked at craigslist and tried for some things, but no response.

How do I keep the momentum going?

Scott

TheDoc

Try building something that solves a problem that you have. It means you won’t stop working on it half way through because you’ve found something shiny to distract you.

Other than that, kick up the networking a notch and make all of your friends and family aware that you’re taking on work, it definitely helps (even if it’s just in the back of their minds).

eristic
    Participant

Thanks @tannercampbell and @TheDoc, those are both really good suggestions! I’ll look into selling themes on ThemeForest. And also push my networking a little harder.

chrisburton
    Participant

Are you looking to add to your portfolio and improve or get paid as well?

You could find charities to work with.

eristic
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions, all! This, in the very least, gives me many tasks to keep me busy.

BinG
    Participant

Contact local design agencies and enquire about any work overflow and offer to do the first for very little / free to prove yourself.
    I did two jobs for next to nothing for a design agency (one rather large intranet design) afew years ago and now I run their creative department.

chrisburton
    Participant

With respect, I disagree with the above. There are better ways than selling yourself short.

theacefes

I’m with @chrisburton – guys, the more free crap we do for people, the less seriously people will take front end developers and web designers.

BinG
    Participant

well, it worked for me. I personally don’t think there is anything wrong with doing an initial job for less to show your abilities.

iamRDM
    Participant

Well i agree with @Bing try to work with some local agency. Build up a nice portfolio that will do the thing ;)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.