Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Newbie at CSS could use some help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    kamaboko
    Participant

With so many more technical questions on this forum, it’s actually embarrassing to ask, but….I’m new to CSS and have started to learn how to make menu’s. (I’ve left a link below). In my sample_2 menu, I cannot seem to get the entire button block background to change color when it’s scrolled over. It’s as though there are about 2 or 3px of space to the left of buttons 2, 3, and 4 that don’t change. I’m using the Eric Meyer’s reset and have pasted below the menu what I did with CSS. Help is appreciated.

http://webpractice.us/Project_Menu/menu.html

Thanks,
    K

wolfcry911
    Participant

you could add a left margin of -0.25em to the li
    or, change from display: inline-block to float: left (and then contain them adding overflow: hidden; to the ul)

CrocoDillon
    Participant

It’s the whitespace between inline-block elements (think of the elements as words and the whitespace as the space between those words). There are lot’s of ways to remove that. Some require modifying markup like adding comments to remove any whitespace between the elements (a comment between each li closing tag and the next li opening tag), some are done in CSS, like `margin-right: -0.25em;` on the li, or adjusting letter-spacing, word-spacing, font-size, maybe more on the ul element.

EDIT: Of course I’m typing too slow again, but @wolfcry911, right margin works better then left margin ;)

kamaboko
    Participant

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.