Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other New WordPress Theme Feedback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lyleyboy

Hi all,

I have just launched my new theme on my WordPress blog.

It’s not complete as things like the about page are missing. I’m working on those parts which will follow up soon.

What do you think? Be gentle with me, I’m a developer not a designer.

http://smileyhappycoder.co.uk/

Luminated

Everything feels extremely large and “chunky”…try toning the headers and the buttons down, make it more streamlined and clean.

The image in the background is just a bit odd…I would say get rid of it or perhaps try something more subtle. For example, trying zooming into some code (PHP, CSS, HTML, whatever) and making the text really large, kind of like a watermark.

I created an example for you to hopefully give you some inspiration:

http://goodchee.com/example.jpg

You’re off to a good start, but just like any design, now you begin the process of “taking away” and “reducing” until its clean, professional and balanced.

lyleyboy

Hi Luminated,

Thanks for that. I appreciate you thoughts.

I’m very concious that I’m a developer and not a designer and that I can’t design for toffee.

I’ll have a think about you’re thoughts.
    With regards the background image, there are a couple which are randomly chosen. I wanted to create say about 5 or 6 so users see a difference on each visit, potentially anyway.

Thanks again.

yais

Overall, I quite like the effect.

The only things that really put me off is the background – I agree with Luminated that it needs to be toned down a bit. You don’t want people focussing on the background and not the content (and those spots have the opposite effect).

Also, I like the top navbar, but it might be worth making the “Smiley Happy Coder” text a bit smaller and using different typography.

My suggestions would be:
    -tone down background
    -improve typography
    -make the headings a little smaller

Other then that, good job.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.