Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other New Website…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    nchipping

Please take a look and give me feedback:

http://www.deepfrogdesign.com

Thanks!

nchipping

The main critique I’m looking for is background. I really don’t like the background on this, and especially for how long it takes to load. Any ideas on this? I would really appreciate any feedback anybody has.

ninjacd1

Its nice I like the look in feel. The background dose need a little work but if you don’t like it no one else will. Try optimizing images in photoshop however i did find two pages that failed validation. Ill let you find them

aspiringWebbie
    Participant

Your site is still a mess in IE6 and in IE7 – your content is behind the background. This will not be a big deal if your users will definitely not be using IE6 & 7, but more than likely a handful of them will be atleast on 7.

For the image – it is loading slowly bc of the texture. You may want to slice a piece and repeat the background. (this may not pull off bc it may show the seams) However honestly – I think you may be able to pull it off with just the header being the texture and leaving the footer be with maybe a top border separating it from the content (?)

nchipping

I know my site doesn’t work in IE 7 & before still, but I want to figure out the background thing first – then I’ll get it fixed ;)

So, what are your suggestions for a different background? I have really racked my brain on this one, and can’t seem to come up with any ideas that seem to work well with the overall theme/design. I would really appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

aspiringWebbie
    Participant

I agree – it does fit the theme well. What you can try to do is instead of having the entire bg 1 image – maybe make 2 seperate images – 1 for the header and 1 for the footer.

Because it is a texture – it very likely would be seamless if you sliced some of the header – saved as img and repeated the image by the x coordinate. Do this for the footer as well.

Then just have your body background as white.

I will look over it again to see if I have any other suggestions for you…

aspiringWebbie
    Participant

You may also want to lower the intensity of the background a little bit – or use a different image. Visit my current site I am working on (forgive my aesthetics – only 2nd project) – I saved the entire bg image for the background and load time is ok. It is almost like what you have – except my textures are on the left and right as opposed to top and bottom.

I desaturated the texture – changed the mode to soft light and lowered the opacity a bit (can not recall if this fixed the load time – or if it was the particular image / texture that was not KB heavy)

http://www.creativeeyedia.com

nchipping

I do have my header and footer being separate images – but it’s obviously not working that well. I’m not too concerned about loading times right now, because I haven’t optimized the images yet – what I’m looking for is different background ideas. In other words, I think the one I use right now is okay, but I don’t care for it. Does that make more sense?

aspiringWebbie
    Participant

The texture I think is fine. Maybe work on the gradient a bit for a smoother transition? For my 2 cents worth – I would leave this or continue with some sort of grunge bg to fit your logo and the Blue splash on the main feature

nchipping

What about something like this? It’s much more simple…

[img]http://www.deepfrogdesign.com/images/banner-top-design.png[/img]

It wouldn’t be exactly like that (the nav buttons look wrong, and a few other minor details) – but what do you think about the background on that? Just white, with a banner across the top?

nchipping

Okay, so I went ahead and put that design on, so here’s the links to it:

http://www.deepfrogdesign.com

Please let me know what you think. I like it a lot more than the 1st try – it is MUCH cleaner, and more simple. But I want your feedback ;)

aspiringWebbie
    Participant

Looks good – much cleaner

alenshowbrizz
    Participant

Very nice work man, You can make it good rather than that. Well its my think but all over very nice, Good work with font and page layout, I think you have to puted computer graphics I think you just to do some little modified that.

keithdevon

Wish I could have seen what the site looked like before but I think it’s looking good now.

My main beef is with the red ‘Featured Site’ text on the homepage. Why is it red? If anything should stand out that much it should be a call to action. If it HAS to be red could you use the same tone as the green?

I generally don’t like the typography. You don’t seem to have set a line-height property in your CSS. If you are using a font-size of 16px i would recommend a line-height of 24px or 1.5em. It would be much more legible. Why is the paragraph font-size different on the home page than the internal pages (16px – 14px)?

The other part is the footer. It looks like an after thought. If the phone number was center aligned it would look a lot better.

Good work though and good luck!

Keith

noahgelman
    Participant

I’m a little saddened that you used images for the "portfolio" button and the "learn more" on the home page. They both could have been done with some simple CSS.

Other than that I have 2 little quips. One being the image of the computer. you should have one that faces towards your content, not one that faces away from your content. It makes them look more professional. The other being the slideshow. Then I get to the end it sends me all the way back to the beginning, which is fine, but it feels like it takes forever. What if I wanted to go back? I’d either have to click through the whole thing again or wait for the animated to carry me over. It just feels a bit slow.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.