Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other New Maps app for iPhone not using Google Maps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    clicknathan

Just curious what everyone thinks about Apple’s decision to use their own mapping data for iOS 6. As a developer, I’ve got a lot of mobile sites that love being able to simply open up a link to a Google Map in the native app. Anyone planning for this?

JoshWhite

For me, it’s a reminder that I’ll likely never be out of a job :) Every year, companies will make these kinds of decisions that will create opportunities to build more flexible tools and solutions for end users.

The other ray of sunshine is that it helps continue to widen the gap between professional designers who are experts in their field with the guys who just toss stuff together without much thought.

clicknathan

Josh, I love your outlook indeed.

Andy, I’m hoping for the same thing…though how wonderfully easy is it to do in iOS now with a simple, regular link.

From a personal opinion though, not necessarily a dev standpoint, I know I shouldn’t knock it until I’ve tried it, but I find Google Maps really reliable for all the content they have…I think Apple will be playing catchup for awhile. I do hope they prove me wrong, as they certainly have in the past.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.