Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design New logo design (…but it still seems stupid!)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Scott
    Participant

Hi Steven, awesome job! personally I like the last rectangular one but your absolutely right a thicker font would be better, I recommend Lato Extra Bold, capitalized and possibly some letter spacing.

chrisburton
    Participant

@robskiwarrior Another.

Steven Watson
    Participant

Right, I have decided on a logo after all this time, granted, it’s simple but that was my initial aim. I have decided to go with ‘STEVEN’ as opposed to ‘STVN’ and I have also changed the font to Monsterrat from Google (sorry @chrisburton, I know how much you dislike Google Fonts, but I just felt this one fitted with what I personally wanted and I don’t really have the money at the minute to spend on a font pack from websites such as Web Type etc).

I just wanted to thank you ALL in the thread for your kind help, I feel I have finally found something I like (…for now)

chrisburton
    Participant

I have also changed the font to Monsterrat from Google (sorry @chrisburton, I know how much you dislike Google Fonts, but I just felt this one fitted with what I personally wanted and I don’t really have the money at the minute to spend on a font pack from websites such as Web Type etc).

Hey, Steven. No need to apologize and I don’t necessarily dislike GWF. I generally dislike poor quality typefaces no matter where it comes from. I prefer Webtype simply because they have tremendous skill for optimizing webfonts, a reputation for cross-platform quality and a library of webfonts from highly talented foundries/individuals. Unlike Google, Webtype also realizes that every typeface in their library is not meant for body text. For example, Monsterrat is strictly a display face but Google recommends it for body text as well.

But that’s not say there isn’t quality webfonts in Google’s library because there certainly is.

Steven Watson
    Participant

Ahh, I see what you mean now, Chris.

I understand the frustration that must cause, especially when you look at the technical details of fonts, most of the designers, including myself, rarely give a second thought to the fonts we use, however I feel we should.

I have created the header I wanted for my website now, it’s simple and I am hoping to carry on that trend throughout the whole website.

I am using this re-design as a new learning experience to try and further my skills, I really hope to land a job at an agency for a few years to pick up some invaluable experience and then hopefully branch out to become a freelancer when the time is right, I need to learn alot before I even consider this option.

chrisburton
    Participant

Just keep in mind when choosing that you should at at least find one that comes in many weights and styles. Oxygen only has light, normal and bold. You may decide later on that you want to italicize text for quotes. Just thought I’d throw that in there.

Steven Watson
    Participant

Ahh, very good point, I have never thought about that.

So if I was to italicize the text and add font-style: italic would that just skew the letters without really knowing how the font is meant to look?

chrisburton
    Participant

Essentially, if there is no italic the font is rendered at an angle greater than if it were to be designed as oblique or italic. Italics are usually designed with different letterforms and there can be other problems with using faux italic as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.