Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other new idea for a splash pages

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    iancoates

…actually it might be new but…

Hi, I have a client who wants a splash page that will be a completely different design to the rest of the site (mainly a poster for their band). I’m not a big fan but I thought of an idea that might not be too intrusive.

What I wanted is something that would cover their home page, i.e., a full page div, but when the cursor is in the window (in a hover state) the site would be revealed. I thought that once the viewer of the site was into the main site they would not have to see the splash again because their cursor would never leave the page.

Anyway, I’m when i make the div transparent it is still basically there so I cant click the links. Is their any way that it can completely disappear and use cool css3 transition fading effects?

thanks for the help

Ian

TheDoc

You lost me at ‘splash page’. :)

In all honesty, I would do something like a lightbox. Make sure to set a cookie so that the user only sees it the first time they go to the website though.

iancoates

here’s a crude example with css http://jsbin.com/exega4/6/

and a javascript switch but this would appear everytime the home page is clicked, just not sure how to implement the jquery cookie

iancoates

oops, here’s the javascript idea http://jsbin.com/exega4/6/

Waffle

Hi Ian, I have a pretty good idea how you can do it.

I cant write the js for you but make it so when you hover over the div that is your splash…
    .Hide. So for example… (My js might be wrong)

$('#example').hover(function(){

$("#example").hide();

Get my gist?

Hope I helped.

ccc630

The only problem with that is that I tend to move my cursor around the monitor as I surf (nervous habit, I guess), which makes the splash page show up, then disappear, then show up…

mshort1985

like others said use $(“#splashpage”).hide(); to hide it using jQuery, but rather than having it hide only while the cursor is in the window, just make it so the user can click anywhere to remove the splash page from view.

someone else mentioned this, but you will also need a cookie or something that tells the browser not to display the splash page again once someone has already seen it, or else it will get very frustrating.

iancoates

thanks for the suggestions folks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.