Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other New design for my personal web site

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Pant3r

Hi everyone,

I re-designed my personal web site.
    http://arman.boyaci.ca/new
    I have tried to use new trendy things like rounded borders, jquery effects, large white spaces…

I will be glad to hear your feedbacks. Thanks in advance.

-Arman

My initial impression is that it feels a bit empty, especially the home page. Removing some of the white space and adding additional content would help. You may also want to consider removing the jquery tooltip effect on your home page, and actually including that content directly in your page instead. I’d much prefer to quickly scan the page than to have to mouse over each of the links in the content and wait for it to load.

Keep in mind… these "trendy effects" are just that — trendy. Just because they are popular at the moment doesn’t necessarily mean that they will be popular forever, and it doesn’t mean that it suits you or the look you are going for. Chances are, some of the things that are in style at the moment will fade in popularity, and other elements will take their place. Focus instead on making the site present yourself in the most professional way possible, and be accessible and usable for your audience.

One other note… putting your navigation in the footer is probably a bad move. On a 1024×768 screen resolution, the user has to scroll to access the navigation, and it isn’t immediately visible when the page is loaded. That is why most designers place the navigation up near the top of the page.

Rob MacKay
    Participant

I would agree with alot of what falken said.

But on a technical side I would add that you have a problem with your jQuery. If you roll on and off your expandable items it will keep looping, you need to add a stop(); so your animation will restart once you hover out and in quickly, meaning it will only do it once and not 400 times :D

wow that made no sense… lol

Pant3r

Thank you guys for your feedbacks ;) I’ll make some changes…

What about inner pages, like "files". http://arman.boyaci.ca/new/files.html

-Arman

JessicaCross

I like your updated version much better, although I did also like the simplicity of your first page. I think with a little spiffing, maybe adding in some drop shadows with your boxes, doing a bit of photoshop work, the page would really pull together.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.