Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Nested lists

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Olwe

Here’s code that produces what I want. Unfortunately, I’m kludging with the br tags to get the alignment right:

• First in mainlist.

• First in horizontallist

• First in second vertical list.

• Second in second vertical list.

• Third in second vertical list.

• Second in horizontal list.

With extra text.

• Third in horizontal list.

• Part of Mainlist

Here’s the html:

ul.mainlist
    {
    list-style-type:none;
    margin: 0px;
    }

.mainlist li
    {
    margin:0px;
    padding:0px;
    display:block;
    }

ul.horizontallist
    {
    }

.horizontallist li
    {
    display: inline-block;
    }

ul.secondlist
    {
    }

.secondlist li
    {
    display:block;
    }

Can anyone figure out how to get this alignment without messy kludges?

TheDoc

Why don’t you simply not use line breaks and just use margin/padding?

wolfcry911
    Participant

and get rid of that extraneous empty clearing li

Olwe

Got it! On a hunch, I tried good old “vertical-align:top;”, an old stand-by from the table days. It worked! Stuck it in :
    .horizontallist li { … vertical-align:top; }

My whole motivation for this is to contribute to the “code rather than hand-mark-up CSS” movement. To do this I’m obsessing with trying to boil a webpage down to just lists (i.e. no use of div). That way I can write, say, Lisp code (where everything is a list) to (rather elegantly) generate CSS. Yhw? Because everywhere I look — cgi, blogware, dreamweaver, — stumbles on CSS flexibility. For example, a Drupal or WordPress site that wants to not have that “out of the can” look requires serious hand CSS fiddling. Sure, there’s some rudimentary automatic point-click styling, but not serious automated CSS styling.

TheDoc

“code rather than hand-mark-up CSS” movement.

I don’t know what movement you’re talking about, but any movement that suggests you use line breaks instead of margins is being lead by a crazy person.

Olwe

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, but the line breaks were a kludge, so I wouldn’t want to use them, nor margin tricks. Again, the vertical-align:top solved my issue. Before I was balancing the alignment of items in a horizontal list by adding or subtracting line breaks, i.e., evil kludge.

So, to recap, if you use a horizontal inline list, you’re typically using it for menu items that don’t go into paragraph length. I, however, wanted paragraph lengths, images, etc. — which caused the alignment problems — which I figured out how to solve.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.