Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Negative Margin In IE 9 Problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    svoltmer
    Participant

I have a site that relies on negative margin to position the footer and didn’t realize that IE doesn’t recognize negative margin. Is there an easy way to correctly position my footer with my existing layout?
    Here is my site: http://www.rose-hulman.edu/testing/

Paulie_D

IE doesn’t recognize negative margin

Really?

Which version of IE?

Beverleyh
    Participant

In an IE9 stylesheet, the easiest fix could be something like; .rose { margin-top:-125px }

Should be good for IE8 too.

BTW – IE9 does recognise negative margins ;)

Paulie_D

Looks broken (slightly) in IE11.

There something weird going on (positioning or this negative margin) that I can’t quite get a handle on.

svoltmer
    Participant

I ended up taking out the negative margin and wrapping the whole layout and applying the grey background gradient to that. Then relatively positioning the footer, that seems to work. But, I see another issue when I shrink my browser width to a mobile size. I see a gap on the right side of the layout forced open by something in the header. Could you help me figure out what is causing that?

Beverleyh
    Participant

Looks like the left and right margins on .row .row

If you zero those, the horizontal scrollbar goes away.

But then this has the effect of creating wide gaps down the edges of your content so try reducing the left and right padding on .feature-wrap too.

svoltmer
    Participant

Thanks, I what I needed was to change the .row .row to .row .column and that fixed the issue.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.