Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Need help making transparent transition in slideshow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    wristcutter69
    Participant

Thank you Shikkediel for all your help!

Shikkediel
    Participant

Glad you got it working. :-)

Shikkediel
    Participant

Hey… I discovered a mistake in the code that I think I copied. First the element is defined as myImage:

var myImage = document.getElementById('mySlide');

But later it is referred to as mySlide instead. This happens to still work because an id can become a global variable, is what I only discovered last week. But is isn’t really correct to do. So here’s an improved version that I added some other modern support to:

Demo

Shikkediel
    Participant

Maybe the update went unnoticed, @wristcutter69. It also takes better care of the fallback – which is no fading at all. In the old version it would abruptly disappear for a second before the next slide suddenly appeared. Now there’s no interruption when the browser doesn’t support transition.

Would otherwise look like this.

Firefox’s slightly annoying when the images aren’t cached yet by the way.

wristcutter69
    Participant

That update, was superb! It has way better compatability with other browsers :D
    Cheers Shikkediel, that was genious!

Shikkediel
    Participant

Always looking for optimisation… so to fully cover every single browser (even those that are very unlikely to visit), you’d want to add a -moz- rule for transition:

img#mySlide {
      -moz-transition: opacity 1s linear;
      -webkit-transition: opacity 1s linear;
      transition: opacity 1s linear;
    }

By the way, if you add these properties to the hiding and showing classes instead you’ll be able to define different speeds for fading out and in.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.