The Lodge is members-only design/dev videos and Office Hours.

Next Office Hours Session: "Implementing an SVG Icon System" Nov 30 - 6:00 PM Eastern

Need help making the categories stand out / look different…

• # January 16, 2013 at 9:54 pm

If you check out [this site]( “noah’s dad”), I’d like to make the categories “stand out” above the various widget areas if that makes sense. You’ll see where it says “Down Syndrome Resources, etc” for categories – I’d like that to stand out more / look different than the post titles, if that makes sense.

# January 18, 2013 at 12:57 am

Perhaps I’m missing something but I just can’t figure out what categories you are referring to.

# January 18, 2013 at 1:04 am

After the main posts you’ll see “down syndrome resources” /”therapy”, etc…

And you just proved my point. :) They just sort of blend in. :)

# January 18, 2013 at 6:59 am

See there’s the thing…how would I know they are categories?

Perhaps a heading / top border or the like?

Also, if they are categories then shouldn’t “Down Syndrome Resources” be a link to the collection of posts/resources etc?

# January 18, 2013 at 9:57 am

Did you get a chance to look at the link? The 5 most recent posts within that category are located under that.

# January 18, 2013 at 11:07 am

a quick solution might be turning them into buttons.

# January 18, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Of course I looked at the link but you have a ‘heading’ called “Down Syndrome Resources” which is followed by “More Parenting Posts”….there’s a disconnect there.

Perhaps something like Chris has done on the main page here…a coloured highlight strip at the top with the Category name in it?

# January 18, 2013 at 3:27 pm

@Paulie_d that sounds great, can you help me with that?

# January 18, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I would recommend making them larger than the rest of the text. And each button having a background-color. That will let people distinguish the navigation from the rest of the text.

# January 18, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Clearly you will have to ‘tag’ each item with a category and then group/feed them somehow.

I’m, assuming this is WP?

# January 19, 2013 at 6:04 pm

yes. I’m a rookie at this. :)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

There's a whole bunch of content on CSS-Tricks.

Search for Stuff   •   Browse the Archives

Get the Newsletter ... or get the RSS feed