Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS need help again, please help!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    alextash
    Participant

CSS

#wrapper {
    width: 500px;
    height: 500px;
    margin: 0 auto;
    background: yellow;
    }

#header {
    background: blue;
    position: absolute;
    }

HTML

My first question is
    1. Why my header is positioned relative to #wrapper, and not relative to page. I thought that if you dont specify any properties then positioning should be relative to the browser window with top:0; and left: 0;. Is it wrong? if yes, what is the correct answer?

2. why the width of my #header becomes as a width of paragraphs? Does absolutely positioned element lose its auto width?

timmey

hey alextash,

1) the #header needs a left-attribute, then you will see that its positioned to the browser window.

2) if you set position:absolute you need a width like wrapper has.

i made a jsfiddle, where you can see it and placed another div inside wrapper. just test a little bit and you will see how it works: http://jsfiddle.net/s9e9U/

and finally you can take a look at https://css-tricks.com/video-screencasts/110-quick-overview-of-css-position-values/ if you havent already

alextash
    Participant

Thank timmey, video podcast answered many of my question. Appreciate

wolfcry911
    Participant

with an absolute positioned element, you don’t need a width. The default auto width will ‘shrink wrap’ to its contents. In your case the contents are block level paragraphs that take up all available width, so the AP is full width as well.

alextash
    Participant

Thanks very much wolfcry911 and Schmotty. This is what I really wanted to find out . Appreciate your help guys.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.