Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Need feedback on design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mdrd88
    Participant

Hello, everyone!

I am working on a web template and it’s in the baby stage as of now. Please give feedback as to what you like or don’t like and any ideas are welcome (currently out of them). My problem is, it just seems empty. it’s like the skeleton is there but there is no meat on the bones, you know?

http://mdrd.hostzi.com/portfolio.html

Note: the pages besides the portfolio page I just threw crap up there so I could have something, the portfolio page is what I am concentrating on right now.

Thank you!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I too am working on a web template but i just started. How are you planning on selling it? anyway here are a few things you can do to improve design and what is bringing the site down.

The left navigation is plain and has nothing exciting about it, Be creative. The logo should be somewhere around there.

I have never been a fan of horizontal scrolling, but that’s just me. Some people wouldn’t mind.

If your planning on selling your template on themeforest remember that they don’t accept anything that isn’t responsive.

The bottom social icons are spaced unevenly and don’t necessarily match in size.

I can’t figure out what the template is for. Is it a corporate template or a personal site for someone?

The navigation button should be entirely clickable when hovering over it. Not just the text.

It’s hard to click on the portfolio sub-navigation buttons.

Not sure if this is just me but it takes too long to switch between content with the little amount of content to show. Are you using separate stylesheets for each page?

Each page should have individual styles that still match with one another. But are different. Or you could leave it like that if that’s what you really want. Just something i would do.

When you zoom out things seem to fall apart bit on some pages.

Also don’t think that every computer has the same resolution. Someone bellow a certain resolution wont be able to see the bottom of the text. And they won’t even be able to scroll down to see it.

If you ask me i think you should rethink your approach and start over. It’s a good concept and it looks like it could be a really good template. Just needs some more work. You should start from scratch and use examples from themeforest.net and look at a bunch of templates and see what they all have in common. Although don’t confuse inspiration and plain copying.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

I think if you make those boxes {“featured”, “new releases”, “most popular”, etc} bigger to fill the space of the page, it would make it look a little busier and don’t forget, those images you have make it feel dull, simply because you’re using the same placeholder images. I know you are starting off with it, but maybe try some different images to possibly make the page feel a little more content based or alive.. I hope you understand what i mean.

Also, that first box has a weird white edge thing going on…

user screenshot

mdrd88
    Participant

Thank you for all the inputs! I am currently working on the logo. I tested it on the ipad and it seems to work fine, however, there is a different story for mobile devices and I will try to correct that later. I plan on making it some kind of movie website, almost like hulu, netflix, imdb, somwthing along those lines. I made the horizontal page to be outside the box, but it is a pain in the rear to make the layout/grid.

Could you elaborate on how to be more creative on the nav bar?

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

You should start from scratch and use examples from themeforest.net and look at a bunch of templates and see what they all have in common. Although don’t confuse inspiration and plain copying.

A++

mdrd88
    Participant

John, do you think the horizontal thing is a good idea or just stick with the normal vertical thing?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.