Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Need feedback. Learned some tricks on this site.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    catalguyu

Hey, guys! This site has really helped in refining some old skills. I’m an architect (The Building type) looking to display some of my work online just for kicks. I learned a few tricks on this site and I tried employing them. I also know a little Dreamweaver (mostly for presentation purposes as an architect) I don’t have any access to the program. I whipped-up my site on some goofy program. I was wondering if someone can give me some feedback on my work. Thanks in advanced!!! http://www.arch-station.com
    C. Alberto

SaraMarie

Seconding the slow BG load time. I like the effect on the splash page’s logo, by why is it not on the main page’s logo? Keep it, man! But take the effect off the part that says your name, so that part can read more clearly. Also, just lose the splash page altogether. Splash pages are like dreams and poems: only the owner/writer/creator of those things likes them, and everyone else find them annoying and/or boring. But since you’re sprucing up “old skills” I totally understand. I was guilty of splash-paging a long time ago, too. *g*

Spacing… your vertical spacing is off. Tighten that up. Keep the horizontal rules but lose the dashes around objects. The thick, white border around the online radio player is plenty.

Avoid iframes. I know some portfolios have put everything on one page and use some cool JS tricks for presentation of it all, but it only works I think if you only have a few things. If you need a scrollbar for your text, it should go on a separate page.

Your text columns should stretch out to fit the whole content column, and add a higher line-height.

But otherwise, cool start, and not bad for someone who says they’ve been doing things other than design for awhile.

catalguyu

Thanks for the feed back. All this really helps. Ill remove my name, I agree. I just tweeked the BG loading. I added the Splash page so the BG can preload, but, that didnt work. As for the hoover effects, I like the idea, Ill see what I can come up with. Again, thanks for the feedback! All this helps!

soap
    Participant

I think it has potential to be very nice and classy. I believe it is only lacking in typography and I would do some work on the navigation to make it look nicer. I’d be happy to help you out, just let me know.

catalguyu

Hmmmm… Well guys!! Just wanted to add, since Im not a web designer, Im not familiar with terms that you might of used!! LOL! I dont know much code. As an Architect, I only speak Building code “BOCA”. LOL! I will be adjusting the site with the recommended changes as I learn some tricks. As Sara commented earlier, I tightened the spacing and gave all the divisions increments of 10. I removed the splash page ans Im adding a page for my Resume. Attilahajzer mentioned hoover effects, that sounds cool, I think I can do that. As for my friend Soap, Please, tell me what typography is. Again, Im no graphic designer. And was wondering if I can make transparent the navigation bar!! HHHmmmm… Just wondering!! Thanks again for your help guys!

Jerm993

Just remove the background for the navigation if you want it transparent. Also note that your background starts to repeat on the right side on wider screens. Try searching for chris’s full page background technique.

soap
    Participant

From dictionary.com – typography:
    –noun
    1. the art or process of printing with type.
    2. the work of setting and arranging types and of printing from them.
    3. the general character or appearance of printed matter.

Basically applying nice typefaces and their fonts and arranging them in an aesthetic manner.

You might want to spruce up your navigation (typefaces, hover effects, etc.).

Again, let me know if you need help with code or finding and applying fonts.

catalguyu

You mean the “Century Gothic” font I used? Architects use it because it keeps the CDs clean and easy for GCs to read out in the site. Even if the AIA and ASCE recommends arial and new times roman. But, Im open to suggestions. I tried writing in something for the hoover effect but it did not work. This is what I have for the “Sliding Navigation Bar”.
    div id=”sidebar”
    a href=”index.html”> a href=”#ABOUT ME”>ABOUT ME a href=”#IN MUSIC”>IN MUSIC a href=”#MY JUKEBOX”>MY JUKEBOX a href=”#QUALIFICATIONS”>QUALIFICATIONS a href=”#WORKS”>WORKS

a href=”#CONTACT ME”>CONTACT ME a href=”#BACK TO TOP”>BACK TO TOP /ul
    /div

When I tried doing some hoover effects it got messy. What would you recommend? Thanks again!

soap
    Participant

You can reach me on AOL instant messenger at “enemyapc”.

By the way, the font on your site is defaulting to the browser font, I believe Times New Roman.

catalguyu

I see! Thanks man!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I recommend you change the font family style for the body tag in your CSS to something like this:

font-family: “Century Gothic, Arial, Serif”;

That will make it so if a user doesn’t have the Century Gothic font, they will be able to view it with a widely used font. Of course, you could also delve into using web fonts. It’s a fantastic new feature with CSS3 that allow users to download and utilize fonts from a server, much like you download and view an image. I absolutely love it. Let me know if you’d like to give it a shot and I’ll walk you through it.

catalguyu

I actually have that written in, minus the “Arial”. I just added the “Arial”. Hope this works, but I wont know by looking at it on my screen. I always get “Century Gothic”. Thanks for the advice, man!

Johnnyb

I think the typography of the logo is awesome, looks especially cool in the footer with the shadow.

A couple of things though:

I’m not a big fan of the flash gallery you’re using to display your work. If you hover your mouse off it to the left or right then it just keeps on scrolling through really fast. I think you should use a simple yet classy jquery alternative.

Secondly, you should use smooth scrolling when you click on a link in your navigation, it’s so easy to put in but it looks so much better in my opinion!

Also, the jukebox and back to top links in the navigation don’t work.

Apart from that and what the other guys have mentioned I think it looks cool!

John

catalguyu

Hey, John, Thanks for the feedback! I have been working on a smooth scrolling. This is what I have: This seems to work, but I cant add any more links. It only works for two links (Scroll to Top) and (Scroll to Bottom)

div class=”content”

div id=”scrollTop”
    a href=”#” class=”scrollToBottom”>Scroll to bottom

/div
    div id=”scrollBottom”

a href=”#” class=”scrollToTop”>Scroll to top

/div

div id=”scrollTop”
    a href=”#” class=”XXX”>XXX

/div

script type=”text/javascript”
    $(document).ready(function(){

// Scroll page to the bottom
    $(‘a.scrollToBottom’).click(function(){
    $(‘html, body’).animate({scrollTop: $(document).height()}, ‘slow’);
    return false;

});
    // Scroll page to the top
    $(‘a.scrollToTop’).click(function(){
    $(‘html, body’).animate({scrollTop:0}, ‘slow’);
    return false;
    });

// Scroll page to XXX
    $(‘a.XXX).click(function(){
    $(‘html, body’).animate({XXX:400}, ‘slow’);
    return false;
    });

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.