Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other My portfolio is finally live. Thoughts?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    EhhWhat

Hi all

I finally have my portfolio (http://www.ehhwhat.co.uk) and blog (http://www.ehhwhat.co.uk/blog/) live :D .

Can you let me know what your thoughts are? I still have a few tweaks to make here and there but i’d like to get it critiqued by you lot to see if there are any other suggestions.

Cheers in advance to anyone who responds.

EhhWhat

no one :?:

Bumpman

Well I think that the layout and use of colour are both very strong, the tagline orange is eye-catching, an sits quite nicely on the page. But one of the things that a non-heirarchical layout does is that it gives all of your information equal standing on the page, and as a visitor I have a tendency to click through it quite quickly. Your layout gives equal priority to important information and unimportant information, i.e. having spent three minutes on the website I know more about the car you drive and what your website used to look like than I do about the work you did for 3 sixty displays.

It’s not that you haven’t set the informational priorities correctly, but just that there’s a lot of things that would mix well in a business-orientated site put beside things that belong in a Facebook page—and while this might give a sense of personal appeal as a designer, it overtakes the prominence of service-oriented content.

It might be good to subtract from the four personal pages, e.g., blog, playground, about, contact and use more of the site to offer previews of your work similar to the landing and work page.

nate374

I really like the layout of the site and the orange really pops against the black, white and gray. The navigation is simple and intuitive. My one critique is that I don’t understand the difference between your latest work and recent work columns. Maybe changing the headings to the columns would better distinguish them?

EhhWhat
    "nate374" wrote:
    I really like the layout of the site and the orange really pops against the black, white and gray. The navigation is simple and intuitive. My one critique is that I don’t understand the difference between your latest work and recent work columns. Maybe changing the headings to the columns would better distinguish them?

Agree and have now changed the headings to ‘Latest Work’ and ‘Other Work’

Cheers for the feedback.

"Bumpman" wrote:
    Well I think that the layout and use of colour are both very strong, the tagline orange is eye-catching, an sits quite nicely on the page. But one of the things that a non-heirarchical layout does is that it gives all of your information equal standing on the page, and as a visitor I have a tendency to click through it quite quickly. Your layout gives equal priority to important information and unimportant information, i.e.having spent three minutes on the website I know more about the car you drive and what your website used to look like than I do about the work you did for 3 sixty displays.

It’s not that you haven’t set the informational priorities correctly, but just that there’s a lot of things that would mix well in a business-orientated site put beside things that belong in a Facebook page—and while this might give a sense of personal appeal as a designer, it overtakes the prominence of service-oriented content.

It might be good to subtract from the four personal pages, e.g., blog, playground, about, contact and use more of the site to offer previews of your work similar to the landing and work page.

Thanks, it seems I do have a mix of a business and personal site like you say so i will take this feedback and improve my website. I’m likely to remove a lot of the information in the about page and replace it with a more CV kind of content. I will also adjust the ‘work’ page to give more information about each project where possible, leaving the short descriptions on just the homepage.

Great feedback guys, cheers.

snillor

The black-white-gray-orange color scheme is very attractive and shows an appreciation for the value of subtlety.

But a look at the screenshots of sites in your Latest Work and Other Work sections shows that you also use clean, pure colors very well. That’s something I’d not be aware of from your site’s pages alone. I don’t have any ideas on to highlight both capabilities (or even if it’s important to do so), just passing along the observation.

coffeendonut

it will be nice if you hover to the latest work image to go full color and when on mouse out goes back to normal… just an effect… and to the rest to i guess… ;)

sukiloves

I like the layout and the navigation. I agree with coffeendonut that it would be nice to maybe see hover overs on your latest work.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.