Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End My home.php didn’t work but was okay when renamed to front-page.php. Please explain!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    rbseid

I’m using latest WP version. In the dashboard settings, my front page is set as a static page with the front page named Home. I want to create a file specifically for my front page contents but when I named it home.php it was not read. I thought home.php was read before either my page.php or index.php but this was not the case. When I renamed the file as front-page.php, it was then read first. Can someone explain why?

TheDoc

It might have to do with setting a static page, though I’m not 100% sure. Maybe home.php is only used when a static page is not set.

jacorre
    Participant

Don’t think you’re allowed to have the page name and file name be the same thing. I’ve seen issues with that before myself. If I want a custom home page I usually name the template file homepage.php and title the page as Home or the name of the site.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.