Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript My first whack at a jQuery plugin

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    WCMiller

Howdy all. In an effort to better acquaint myself with jQuery and the canvas API, I decided to try writing a plugin. Inspired by the Nettuts article a while back on generating visual noise with canvas and JavaScript, I decided to write a plugin that can generate different background textures and append them as background images to the element(s) of the jQuery object.

Now that it’s done (or at least to beta), I’ve made up a webpage showing it’s different effects with the default parameters, as well as some documentation, and I thought maybe some of you would be interested in taking a look at it (and maybe giving me a bit of feedback).

I realize that, given the lack of support for canvas in IE until IE9, this may not be the most practical of plugins, but I think it might prove handy if a site for some reason could dynamically updating backgrounds, or if it has a lot of different background textures.

Also, I wonder if it might not be useful for site development, as you can try tweaking different textures easily, and then download the .png of the final one you want to go with (at least with Firefox), without having to fiddle with Photoshop or the like. I’d love to hear what you all think about it. Do you think it has any practical potential? Are there any features you’d like to see added? Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks!

TheDoc

Cool idea – and a great way to learn!

I think the ‘noise’ one might need a bit of work – looks very patterny* (if that makes sense – as in, I can see where the pattern starts/stops).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.