Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS My faked “float: center” page

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    snillor

Chris had a great article on 4/18 titled “Faking ‘float: center’ with Pseudo Elements”. Thanks Chris! I had a go at it, choosing a bit of paleoanthropology history as my subject.

I was eager to try this technique, and had a few other things in mind to work on: I needed more practice with border-radius, saw the opportunity to use a “pull-quote”, and wanted to come up with a subtle way to identify in-line links.

I’m not asking for solutions to problems (but feel free to comment and make suggestions if you wish.) Just wanted to show how it came out: Robert Broom – a short biography. The color scheme was more accidental than anything else, but I like how it turned out.

chrisburton
    Participant

hey just for a heads up, I was able to go in your directory and download a psd file. You should create a rule in your htaccess to place in your index folders to disallow them to be viewed by the public.

snillor

Thanks Christopher. I don’t know how to do that, but it sounds like something I should learn.

chrisburton
    Participant

Not sure if there is a more simpler way but this is how I do it.

In your directories (folders), create a new file and name it “.htaccess”
    Inside the .htaccess file, add this:

Options -Indexes

That’s it. And you can do this for each directory so no one can access your files.

snillor

Is there a specific extension required for the htaccess file(s)?

chrisburton
    Participant

Nope. This rule will exclude any files from being viewed through your directory. You would have to give them a link to a certain image or document for them to view it instead of them going to the directory (/images) and being able to click through all the files.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.