Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other MVC & PHP help…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    nchipping

Hi all,

I have been working with PHP for a little less than a year now, and am still fairly new to it, but I really enjoy it. Anyway, I have recently been trying to build a framework so that when I put new sites up, it is easy, and quick for me, rather than having to build a lot of the same stuff, over, and over again.

Anyway, I have heard a lot about MVC and OOP with PHP, and that it helps a lot, but I can’t seem to understand ANY tutorial I have come across on either subject, and I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed… :oops:

I would really appreciate any pointers anybody has, or tutorials you have found useful. Obviously, it would be best to find a teacher who could/would be willing to point me in a direction, and answer further questions I have, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Just FYI, I currently use a system that has a bootsrap.php file (so that file connects to all the files I need), and that connects to my template file, which all use my index.php file as the file to put content on. I store my code in the database for whichever site I’m doing, so it’s easily editable right there, rather than having to have coding software with me. Again – any suggestions or help anyone can provide, please do. I would really like to become great at this one day :)

I have just asked to one of my friend to share her views on your question and she will provide the details very soon!!

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

We might need more information on the types of sites you are building… from what is here, why isn’t an standard, free, open source CMS going to work for building sites?

nchipping

Sorry, let me be more specific.

I’ve used WordPress a little, and used Drupal a lot. I have liked it, but it has so much going on in the backend, that I really can’t quite understand what’s happening, and how to modify things to fit my needs. Overall, Drupal is expandable and everything, but theming for it, and making it do exactly what you want isn’t super easy when you don’t understand what’s going on – at least for me.

So, I want to grasp and understand OOP and MVC more, so that I can either use something like WordPress or Drupal much better, or create something myself. I’m totally NOT opposed to using something that’s out there – I just don’t know how to incorporate it for my/my clients needs specifically. Does that make sense? Thanks – I appreciate everyone’s input :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.