Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Multilingual Website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    pctechtv
    Participant

I think that is correct term for a website that is offered in many languages. Does anybody have information on how to do a multilingual website? If you are offering 4 languages, does that mean you have 4 different set of pages? For instance would you have an index.html page for each language? I want a dropdown at the top of the site that quickly switches the language to the users choice. Any help, advise, suggestion, or links to tutorials would be a help. Thanks

__
    Participant

Look up internationalization (or i18n). Generally, what you do is separate all of the text from the html, and then create catalogs of each piece for each language you support. When you serve the page, you check which language the user prefers and insert the appropriate text.

gettext is the most common and complete solution for internationalizing your website, but you could also store your translations in a database, text files, or even in code if there’s not too much of it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.