Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Multi Container Sizes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I would like to know I have been reading about multiple container sizes for different screens i.e media screens.

For desktops would like to know when set container size if its possible to set a base size of 980px for basic monitors and for larger monitor say 21.5 onwards would like to width to be 1200px

But only using one style sheet. For desktops screens flexi.

I am starting my mobile versions now.

Paulie_D

The physical size of the monitor/screen doesn’t matter.

The only thing that is relevant is the pixel resolution and that is targeted with media queries.

You could have a 500 ft wide monitor but if it’s only got 500 pixels across it’s no good using a 960px container.

That’s why we tend to use percentages for responsive sites and not fixed pixel values.

CrocoDillon
    Participant

I’ts [Media Queries](http://caniuse.com/#feat=css-mediaqueries) you want. You’ll find a tutorial and a polyfill for IE8 under the ‘Resources’ tab.

I am starting to use percentages more now find easy for columns would it be best to set container min-width and max-width have to hunt around more for mobile media but got a idea on how it works

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.