Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS [Solved] Moving text outside element

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    pokrishka
    Participant

Hi guys,

Is there a way to move text outside of the container vertically?

The thing is I have to use ::before pseudo element for that and it has to be positioned in a specific spot but I also need text to be generated above it. My ::after element is already used for a different thing. I can use text-indent to move text outside the element horizontally. I can make line-height big to move it below element. But I cannot find a way to move it above element, which I need. I tried text-shadow and it is great, however I need it to work in IE9 and it doesn’t support text-shadow nor does its proprietary filters work on pseudo-elements. Maybe there is some way to make text aligned to the bottom of pseudo element so line height would move it upwards? Or any other way I can get text to be higher, kinda like if negative padding was a thing :)

Paulie_D

Some idea of the effect you are trying to achieve (a design image perhaps) would be useful.

Also, some code in a reduced case demo in Codepen.io would be very helpful.

pokrishka
    Participant

Sure,

Sorry didn’t write it right away. Here’s a simplified version:

http://codepen.io/anon/pen/gbVzrX

As you see, here I’ve made what I need on the ::before element using text-shadow and transparent text color. Element itself is pink and located in one place and content of it looks like it is 50px above. But as I said, it wouldn’t work in IE9 :(

Paulie_D

I’m really confused as to what you are trying to achieve here.

What is the purpose of all this?

Do you have an image of the desired finished article?

Remember pseudo-elements should not contain actual content.

pokrishka
    Participant

That’s more of a sports interest of how much can be designed with a single DOM element. The purpose of it is to have a specific item with a label on it. I’d like to first finish a set of those things before posting them somewhere :P

The question is pretty straightforward though, with negative text-indent and nowrap text can be moved outside element to the left, with positive – to the right. Can we somehow move text outside element upwards?

If there’s no such way, I guess I’ll have to stick to text-shadow and rule out IE9 support :(

Paulie_D

That’s more of a sports interest of how much can be designed with a single DOM element.

I think you’re probably working too hard at this “single element” thing…unless there is absolutely a reason to use only one element (and I can’t think of one) use more than one.

And I repeat, “pseudo-elements should not contain content”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.