Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Movies Website Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

I just thought of this and I have to acknowledge it because of my Gravatar. 2001: A Space Odyssey is still FANTASTIC! It is actually one of the BEST Blu-Rays I’ve ever seen. The detail is amazing. I can’t even believe how good it looks. Better than movies shot today. For real.

And HAL is the creepiest thing to ever be in any movie to me.

chrisburton
    Participant

I like watching movies like most people, but sometimes it’s hard finding a great movie to watch. For example, people spend lots of time endlessly browsing for movies on Netflix, Hulu, and other online services.

This is exactly what I wanted to read from you! And I’m also glad to see that you removed those links. My next question would be: how are you going to distinguish yourself from those other sites that are doing the same thing? Is this for education purposes to help you become a better developer?

Right now, my favorite movie related website is Letterboxd. I just wish there was a really fast way to sort through films based on the actor, genre, holiday (christmas, thanksgiving, etc), etc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

My next question would be: how are you going to distinguish yourself from those other sites that are doing the same thing?

I’m not entirely sure. I guess adding personal opinion about the movie will make the user feel like the list is more legit and better selected than the other sites. What do you suggest?

__
    Participant

What do you suggest?

Made my suggestion already.

2001: A Space Odyssey is still FANTASTIC!

Finally got my wife to sit through that. : )

The Matrix* is still good to me. It’s one of those films that showed you something new almost every time you watched it.

* 1999. I don’t acknowledge the other ones. Though they did teach me that I could, in fact, walk out of a picture I’d already paid for.

Kill Bill had a bit of that. I don’t watch it end-to-end very often anymore, though.

Ever seen Seven Samurai? Breach? Apocalypse Now? Suicide Kings?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Traq I liked A Space Odyssey but the ending was confusing. I’ll probably add that one. Thanks for the suggestions.

__
    Participant

but the ending was confusing

well, you do have to know what’s going on.
    2010 was not as good, but was more accessible to the general public.

nixnerd
    Participant

I liked A Space Odyssey but the ending was confusing.

I can understand your frustration.

well, you do have to know what’s going on.

There are MANY interpretations of that film. But… there are only a few that are generally accepted. I have my favorite interpretation… but most people do not agree with me. It’s all good though. To each his own.

That movie raises some intensely existential questions. Love the hell out of it.

Apocalypse Now is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Just remember: Charlie Don’t Surf!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWW1FeT1EyQ

chrisburton
    Participant

What do you suggest?

Good question. I’m a fan of minimalism (quick redesign) and I like the idea of being able to find a movie quickly. I like finding movies based on the actor, genre, holiday, etc as I stated above. You could add a search box above the nav to allow this. I’m not sure what the functionality is called but, it’s kind of like this (search for “data” and see how the results come in really fast).

Perhaps you should really focus on performance when it gets to that point (you should do this anyway). Maybe use AJAX for sorting, search and pagination. Does anyone else find the page reload annoying when switching through genres?

Also, loved the documentary Religulous.

nixnerd
    Participant

Does anyone else find the page reload annoying when switching through genres?

Oh hell yes! I never want a page reload unless it’s totally necessary.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Senff, @TheDoc or @Paulie_D Mind letting elkrocke’s comment through?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Maybe use AJAX for sorting, search and pagination.

I would totally do that but I want the best possible SEO optimization and AJAX isn’t really SEO friendly.

That actually leads me to my next question. I copy the plot summary directly from iTunes. Will that effect SEO if the content on my website matched exactly with another website?

Senff
    Participant

Done. Kinda annoying it blocks every comment with even the slighest mention of the S-word.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Senff Yeah. I give up on trying to mention it. Can one of you mods notify @chriscoyier on how aggravating this is! After all, this is exactly the proper forum to mention it in.

@Jarolin There are several resources on S-word friendly AJAX.

nixnerd
    Participant

Guys, just gotta use 1337 speak… the preferred nomenclature is “5EO”.

That reminds me… gotta include the Big Lebowski. The dude abides.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Joe_Temp I tried using a zero instead of O and it was still caught. Good catch.

gotta include the Big Lebowski

Hate that movie

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.