Basically i have an image and define areas (linkPopUp1 and linkPopUp2) so when the mouse goes over that area a pop-up appears with some text in it….
It all works fine in firefox but with IE after some debugging i have notice that the areas i define (linkPopUp1 and linkPopUp2) for the pop-up to appear seem to go behind the image and so the mouse can never go over them.
I have tried a few thing with the z-index value for IE to try and get the areas on top of the image but no luck…
anyway the code is below
Thanks in advance for any help / suggestions
Im not sure how to fix this particular problem but i have come across cases where a paragraph was physically on top of an anchor but visually no where near it and that paragraph was for some reason stacked on top in effect killing the link.
if youre messing with positioning a lot for this situation this could be the problem. some other tag could physically be on top of it but visually be no where near it in effect "wrapping" the anchors or "covering" them.
i was only able to fix this by applying red borders to different things since it rendered find in FF firebug and web dev tool bar were of no help.
and btw.. i didnt look at your code but z-index only works on absolute positioning (some dont know that) and absolute positioning takes things out of the normal flow which could infact be causing your problem of another element physically covering the anchor. just a thought.
This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.
I don’t have an answer for this, but two suggestions:
– Try hiding elements one at a time on the page until you’re able to mouseover the area and have the popup appear. That will let you narrow it down to specifically which element is "blocking" the mouse. You can comment out each element in your HTML, or add "display: none;" to each element in your CSS.
– IE6 has a bunch of bugs with its handling of z-index. It could be that the z-index you’ve specified IS correct for what you want to do, but IE’s ignoring it. I encountered this problem before and solved it by moving the element with the z-index to a different place in the document. It didn’t make sense semantically, but it was absolutely positioned so it still showed up in the same location, and got around the bug.